1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need input on stockmakers please.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I am planning to have a custom stock made for my K-80. I am currently looking at 3 different stockmakers. Photos of their work looks great, but you can't really see the wood to metal fit, quality of finish, quality of checkering etc. in a photo. I am looking at Dennis Devault, Larry Garroute and Bobby Emrick. If you have personally seen the work of any of these three gentlemen and you feel you know a good stock when you see it, please respond. I'd appreciate all comments. If their work is great, let me know. If you've been less than pleased, I'd certainly like to hear that too. I've supplied my e-mail address if you prefer. Many thanks! Bob

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, Bob!! I vote for Larry Garoutte.....great work, nice guy!!! Besides, he's close to us.....

ken Rucker

3. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Booper, I sure they are all good stockmakers. DO NOT overlook the stock fitting aspect as this is the prime importance of getting a stock made. IF its just for having a pretty stock you can do that with the standard stock on the gun.

I cannot emphasize the fitting aspect of the stock making proccess. I have seen to many shooters who have a stock made and they still have to move the comb or put additional cast in the stock.

Good Shooting Bopper

4. oh_jdw

oh_jdw TS Member

Bopper,

I would second what logger said above. Every stockmaker has a different thought process on stock fitting (cast adjustments, offset stocks). I would suggest talking with each of the three you have mentioned above and see who's stock configuration/fitting process you have the most confidence in.

This past winter, I had Dennis build me a custom stock for a perazzi combo set. I went with dennis due to the fact I liked his thought process on how a stock should fit/be constructed. I am very pleased with the stock fit and workmanship of the stock. I would not hesitate to have him build me another.

Jesse

5. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

6. dewman

dewman Member

bob,i have seen lots of stocks dennis made-including one he made for my wife--great work and wood--he IS the man--don weeks

7. Orange_Hat

Orange_Hat TS Member

I also recommend going up to see Dennis. He has done nothing but wonders with custom fit stocks for both my dad's Beretta and my Beretta. Also Tracy does a wonderful job with the finish on the stocks as does Dennis' wife Cindy with the checkering. Follow the link above and you will see what I mean.

Evan Storch 0310149

8. shoottx

shoottx TS Member

I don't know the other two ao I can't comment but two of my guns are a Larry'r for new stocks as I write this. One of the things larry does is build a pattern stock and lets you mess with it until it is exactly what you want and then duplicates the dimensions in the finnished stock. I found this to be a great help and I spent way to much time messing with the pattern stock.

Laryy does great work and provide the kind of personal service that will make you happy in the end.

If you want any additional information drop me an email and i will give you any more information you request

9. Duck

Duck Member

Well I'm going the other way, I haven't had a chance to handle Dennis or Larry's work?. I have handled and shot Bobby Emrick's work, all I can say is it was Outstanding!. Checkering sharp, fit, and finish, and wood was gorgeous.
    Wished it were mine then and still do!. He also make's a stock for fit and shooting and when he and shooter agree, he duplicates with chosen wood. One year of college left for the youngest, then it's stocktime!. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content