1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need input on Les Baer .45's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerry944t, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

During a recent lay off from trap due to health issues I've been doing some pistol shooting. I used to be a reasonably decent bullseye shooter and it's slowly coming back.

I want a good quality, accurate .45ACP target pistol and the Les Baer has been recommended. They are expensive so I'm looking for a used gun.

I coulds always go Colt Gold Cup but I wanted something a little different and the price differntial isn't that great.

Am I on the right track? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Like any gun some have closer tolerances than other. My Les is very tight and shoots better than I can.
    Several of the custom guns have guarantees and targets proving 1" or so from the factory. One thing nice about wilson, brown, baer ect is name recognition for quality which usually translates into price stability.

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

He's expensive for a reason, He's one of the best.

4. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Jerry - Competitive bullseye pistol shooting is an extremely challenging sport that demands dedication to your physical training and your mental approach to the game. It also requires a functioning accurate pistol that is zeroed in.

What ever you choose, make sure that the pistol is right for you. You can spend alot of money on these pistols, but remember that it all boils down to your ability as you cannot buy a shot in the ten or x ring.

I do not have any experience with the Les Baer 1911 so I cannot give you an opinon on that product. What I have seen on the line at pistol matches are 1911's made by Springfield and by Rock River. Check out their webb sites.

There are other webb sites that deal with the 1911, including "The M1911 Pistol Organziation, and another webb site that is devoted to Bullseye Shooting. Both sites have alot of information that could be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Dave

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Les Baer or a custom pistol made up from a Springfield frame/internals by a 1911 BE pistolsmith would be great choices. Rock River Arms is another possibility.

I shot a Dan Wesson (cost), it was okay when new but loosened up. I recall one memorable match where it got so cold my hands turned blue and numb and my scores during the last three matches were in the high master range. Earlier in the day I was in the sharpshooter range.

Mike

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

do a search on here a guy had a couple for sale a week or so ago

7. Clayboy13

Clayboy13 TS Member

Jerry, I have two Les Baers,one SRP with 1 in accurizing and another is a Premier II,the entry level gun. The PII is as deadly as the accurized pistol. The fifty yard line is where these pistols shine brightest, their uncanny accuracy and fantastic triggers will put you way ahead from the gitgo. My PII will consistently ring a 6 in gong target from 75 yards. This is impressive to onlookers, even at the police academy range. You can get a more expensive pistols, but for accuracy, it's Les Baer. Wilsons, Browns, and Nighthawks are gorgeous but they will not shoot any better and they cost more. We also shoot clay targets laying on a dirt bank at 65 yards, no problem with LB and no deal with a Clark Longslide. Buy a Baer and then worry only about good ammo.

8. Jerry944t

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming. I did remember a thread about those pistols but search didn't find anything.

I well remember the dedication that it takes which I had 35 years ago. Today I just want to play. Organized competition would be at a very local level if at all. The eyes are just not the same.

Jer

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd try to latch onto one of the older guns make expressly for bullseye shooting, like a Clark longslide, or one of the other custom 45's. The triggers were very crisp, fairly light pull, with overtravel stops, and frequently heavy Bomar ribs or barrel weights and micro sights.
    I have no desire to see how many plates I can hit in 30 seconds, and if I want to use two hands to shoot, I'll get a rifle.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Les Baer guns are as good as they get. Wilson also makes 1911's of this quality. You are looking at $2,500 or so for a new gun from either maker. Guns from these two makers hold their value better than most customs and they will last you a for life time of target shooting.

11. tomk2

tomk2 Member

The thread with the Les Baers was a guy asking about where he should sell them, when and IF he decided to sell them.

I own two Les Baers. I once made the mistake of buying a Kimber for $980 when I could have had a Les Baer for $1700. As far as Les Baers being incredibly tight, my most recent one was not as tight. I think people complained, so they come a tiny bit looser now. They are still the same quality and accuracy, just not so hard to disessemble early on anymore. Both my Les Baers have digested the cheapest ammo, my reloads, and premium ammo with equal enthusiasm. Last I checked, Les Baer was less expensive than Wilson.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Baer pistols are the best. He sets the standard. Everyone else is shooting for second place. For instance his slide and frames are machined after heat treatment, unheard of when he started. I have an Ed Brown pistol made with a Baer slide and frame, very nice. I have two Gold Cups, one is a 70 series and the other an 80 series, and a host of other 1911's. The Gold Cups are junk. They rattle, the accuracy is bad. The 70 series frame is machined off center. After replacing every part and having Bob Kreiger put his acc-u- rails in it's my favorite. That is a lot of work and money. I refuse to waste any money on the 80 series. I can see the hammer and sear pins squirm in the frame. Gold Cups may have collector value but not shooter value. If you are serious get a Baer. You'll spend more having a target gun built aftermarket.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well, I guess I will be the voice in the wilderness. If you buy a Kimber Custom target you will be a whole bunch of money ahead and if you can get all the accuracy out of it then you will be better then 99% of the guys out there. As a group we DO try and buy a score... I shot in a bulls eye leauge and came in the top 33% out of 60 some guys( 12th place) with a Kimber Ultra Carry with fixed sights. I had never shot bullseye and didn't know about reduced velocity loads and was shooting 230 grain full house round nose ammo. The guys that beat me had some fine guns and a whole bunch of knowlage that I didn't have. It's nice to have the best and I am as guilty as the next guy. I just don't think any handgun could be that much more accurate then the top of the line Kimber at half the cost. My silly Ultra-Carry wouyld put at least 4 of 6 in a one inch dot at 25 yards with me shooting. It would put them all in a one inch area with a serious shooter at the grips. If you are good enough to get that extra 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch at long yardage out of a gun that cost twice as much them by all means spend double. My opinion.... Jeff

14. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I have a Sig Revolution 1911 45 for sale. Am on vacation at the moment but will be back Saturday. email me at XXgbatch@comcast.net if interested. (delete the Xs). Asking $800 including shipping to your FFL. This gun has @ 300 rds through it and is all stainless with a Caspian frame and slide, built by Sig.
    More info on the Sig website.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jerry, Jerry P. is right about the Gold Cups Your only buying a name, I know I have a few of them. Ask your friend Jimmy D. about his Les Baer, also ask Pupak if he wants to part with his Pardini since he no longer shoots bullseye.

16. Jerry944t

Yo Toolmaker, long time no talk. Everything OK? I'll call Jimmy later. I had no idea he ever shot pistol. Of course he'd have the high end stuff. I'll see Pupak... What's a Pardini? Sounds like an Italian pastery.

Jerry

17. art g

art g Member

Are you going to be shooting wadcutters in your .45 and using a red dot sight? Have a Model 41 .22 as well as a custom made wad gun .45 acp both in great condition with very low round counts tht I could offer for sale. Both have Ultra Dot sights and could pass for new. Been in my safe since the mid-ninties. Can't shoot one handed anymore do to physcial limitations resulting from a motorcyle crash. Art G.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jerry, The Pardini's are a well made Italian comp pistol just like your Perazzi is to clay shooting. I don't think anybody imports them anymore. Yes James got a craving one day so he got one of every top shelf maker. You know how it is when it comes to adult toys.

19. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

JWBSX1- ringing a 6" gong at 75yds isn't too impressive for a BE shooter. BE shooters like guns that will group inside 1.5" at 50yds which is the number we look for when shopping for pistols. My Marvel conversion (.22 on a custom Caspian 1911 frame) will group 5/8ths" at 50yds. Any recognized BE pistolsmith will build to this level of accuracy.

Mike

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Mike, How acurate will a Kimber Custom target shoot VZ a Bauer? Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.