1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need input on buying 11-87 super mag?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 19, 2013.

1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Been looking at one of these for the upcoming waterfowl season but reviews on the internet are mixed about how well this gun preforms anyone have or have had one? Any imput would be appreciated.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There's a used camo Rem SP-10 in the For Sale section here cheaper than a new Super Mag.

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Brian do you have any experience with the super mag through?

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

will only cycle heavy loads

5. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I bought one about 5 years ago, I liked the way the gun shot, but very seldom did cycle all three shells thru, like a previous poster said, it seemed to cycle the 3.5 better than the 3" shells, and I did clean the gun often.

I ended up buying the Remington Versa Max 2 years ago and have nothing but great reviews for this gun, I've never had it not cycle a shell while duck hunting or goose hunting, one of my boys bought one this last year and has had great results with it also, I know they're alot more money but I believe alot better gun.

6. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

For what its worth...

I purchased a 11-87 supermag sportsman 3 seasons ago and it has not failed me...

Its been reliable and acurate...

I purchased the Rem to replace a Benelli Nova that I disliked for various reasons...

Ive heard great things regarding the Rem Versamax but I have not seen one in use...

Good luck,
    Chris

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    targetmaster, I have used Supermags but I do not own one.

I believe the SP-10 is superior to the Supermag. It's a better design for heavier payloads, and the larger bore patterns better. It's also more comfortable to shoot. The 3.5" shell really pushed the envelope on the 1187 platform, and early guns had issues.

Would I buy an 1187 Supermag? If the price was right and it had the barrel I wanted, yes. But I'd rather have an SP-10. The Supermag would probably serve me well, because I use the heavy loads for coyote hunting, and that's pretty low volume use, and shot stringing is not an issue. If I was really into waterfowling, I'd rather have the SP-10.

Having said that, I can understand some people not wanting an SP-10. It's quite a bit bulkier and heavier. That's the tradeoff for better reliability and especially more comfortable shooting.

As for the Supermag not shooting anything but heavy loads, that has not been my experience. At least not the ones I've shot. They cycled 3.5", 3" and heavy 2-3/4" OK. They also cycled the cheap promo loads, but there is a sleeve (barrel actuator) that has to be installed after the gas rings for them to work. It would not cycle anything lighter than the heaviest trap load. Having said that, there are people who state that they can't get 2-3/4" loads to cycle other than buckshot or slugs.

8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I love mine. Cycles everything I feed it.I Mainly shoot 1300 fps 3" BB's with a Carlson IM and have killed a ton of birds. I have shot 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" at the same time with no issue. I have had it slow down when extremely dirty but has never quit. Mine is waterfowl 28" barrel at least 10 years old.

9. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Mine cycles my light 7/8th ounce trap loads and I've never had a problem with 3 inch or 3.5 inch shells.

Steve Nunley

Albq., NM

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I love mine. I bought it for hunting. I'm shooting the 28" black SPS version. I do not use it for targets but have shot some trap and skeet rounds with it before the season starts. The gun cycles 2 3/4" light target to 3 1/2" with out issues. I use the piston adapter ring as the factory instruct you to. Could be why some guys have cycling issues. I would recommend one. I like the matte finish on it also. I have not had any rust issue either. I heard that the finish process has changed over the last few years. You might want to look into that. I did add the Hi-Viz sight system to it. Works well with low light conditions. Good luck

11. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

On the 4th trip back to the factory Remington finally fixed mine.
    They put all new guts in it ...... since then it has been fine, but won't cycle light loads consistently.

I have a SuperX 2 that has never failed me once, and primarily shoot that.

12. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Remington recommends the use of a barrel seal activator when using 2 3/4" shells in an 11-87 Super Magnum. My 11-87 SM will cycle 3dr target loads ~98% when used with barrel seal activator.

A barrel seal activator is included with later production guns. Remington used to send them free, if you did not get one with early guns. I see Brownells sells them.

#13 on the above webpage.

Michael

Search tags for this page
11-87 super mag and target loads
remington 11 87 super mag waterfowl review
remington 11-87 sps super mag problems
remington 11-87 super magnum reviews
remington 1187 reviews super mag

remington 1187 super mag reviews

remington 1187 supermag review

remington versa max vs 11-87 super mag