1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need input from the Model 12 Experts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SShooterZ, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Has anyone had a Simmons rib put on a Model 12?

I'm getting a 16 gauge that could use some TLC and was thinking of having Simmons do a complete rib install and reblue.

Has anyone had experience with their work? Any thoughts or suggestions one way or the other?

I've also toyed with the idea of maybe having the wood refinished and/or upgraded.

I'm looking to have a nice looking, fun shooter of a 16 gauge as a result.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The only problem I can see is cost Simmons will charge you around 700 to 800 bucks for rib and reblue .

KEYBEAR

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I had Simmons put one on for me on a 16ga full back in 1966 to shoot trap at a local club. I didn't know that there was a special gauge for trap at the time so I always shot it at the shoots on Sundays. Many time I would walk home trying to carry a couple of hams or turkey, or maybe a slab of bacon or two and some of the older fellows would give me a ride to my grandmothers cause I could't carry all the meat and gun to. I still shoot that gun at trap and take just as much money with that as a twelve. It will keep up with the fellows on shootoffs also.
    I did have a fajen rollover cheekpiece stock put on also. Once you get used to the weight of the gun its no problem.

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I have had simmons install several ribs on model 12, but it was around thirty years ago and paid around two hundred dollars or so at the time.

Sounds like prices have risen considerably.

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

KEYBEAR - Simmons quoted me $375 for the rib and reblue which I didn't think was too bad.

B12 - How has the bluing and rib held up over the years? Sounds like you've made a real shooter out of it.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

True Story: I recently asked Simmons to install a wire shell catcher on my 1100 Classic Trap. I took in another barrel which already had a wire installed so they could see what I wanted. I provided the wire (I had some extras). One week later they called and said the barrel was ready...and, oh, by the way, I didn't really need that little tab of metal under the wire, did I? I almost fainted. "H***, yes, I want it...that is a factory installed shell deflector." The reply: "Well, we didn't think you needed it because it is under the wire." Duh! I emphasized - "I want the deflector left alone - I take the wire out when shooting doubles." Reply: "Oh...well, okay." When I picked up the barrel, the deflector was in place, but had been brazed back in. Simmons has had a long and good reputation; however, like everything else, things can change. I'm sure I won't go back, but your experience may be different. I live in KC and have seen Simmons go from a large to a very small operation. Ed

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

Yes, Simmons used to be a mush bigger operation. The wholesale division was sold to Jerry"s Sports. The gunsmithing operation is entirely separate now and they do a fine job. Yes, a rib and reblue is now about $375. Have you filled your car's gas tank lately! I'll bet you paid more than $1.98 per gallon!

8. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

How has the bluing and rib held up on your M12s? Would you do it again?

9. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Simmons has been installing ribs and blueing Mod 12's for Winchester since the 50's. I've had dozens done by them and everyone comes back perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to send anything I own to them.

ol 12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.