1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Information on a Win Mod 1897

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Nate_w, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

I am looking for some information on a shotgun I just purchased. The markings on the pump's slide say it is a model 1897. The 29" barrel has "12", "full", and "Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co" with a list of the patent dates from "Nov 25, 90 to Oct 16, 1900. The gun is in some rough shape, and it is in need of some TLC, but I couldn't pass it up. Thank you in advance for your help.
    -Nate

2. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

3. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Nate,

If you e-mail me the serial number, I have a book that lists the years they were made according to serial number.
    What other information did you need?

Jim

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

These are used quite a bit in Cowboy Action shooting. I have two plus a clone.

Don

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A lil TLC and you will have a very slick shooting gun.

Just watch out for the bolt...it is murder on your thumb, if you hold the gun wrong!

6. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

It does look like it would be a fun shooter. Any ideas on where I can get a good schematic for it? It looks to be missing somthing on the upper left of the reciever and the trigger is not engaging.

Harleypilot: email sent, thank you

-Nate

7. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Nate,

Your model 97 was manufactured in 1904. I have e-mailed you more information on where you might be able to find parts or a schematic.

Jim

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Nate, upper left receiver is probably the ejector. Round hole with screw hole beside it??? Easy to come by and replace. I have one I used when I was shooting SASS. I found a new bbl. for mine and had it sawed off and kept the original bbl as it was. Good luck in getting it up and running. They are a fun gun to shoot. Steve

9. 97STR

97STR TS Member

Nate W.,
    Online try www.marauder.homestead.com, Brownell's has a Winchester 97 Takedown Guide, The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V: Shotguns has a 97 section, and AGI has a DVD out. Parts can be had from Cowboys and Indians Store in California. This is also the best place to send you 97 to be worked on bar none. There are a lot of people working on the 1897, but C&I are the best,

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.