Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Information about the Kolar T/S

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RAScott 
#1 ·
I had the opportunity to shoot a Kolar T/S at the Missouri State Shoot this week. This one had left hand wood and really felt and shot good. I need information about durability, repair availability, triggers, future trade value, etc. Any help will be appreciated.
Dan

#2 ·
Dan. If you buy a new T/S for 7 grand, it will devalue at about 15% as you take delivery. Any quality gun will do that. The reason for that is the 15% is Kolar's brick and mortar business costs, Overhead, profit, and the like. Perazzi, Keeighoff are the same.

Kolar's are built rock solid. As tough as any gun on today's market and you w8ill have no issues with durability.

The triggers are as good as any and the smiplicity makes user understanding and functionality second nature. I recommend their releases as well

You will not need repairs.

Kolar offers severl stocks.All have a degree of cast off or on in your case. The #1 is jsut a bit cast on (LH) and the #3 is quite a bit cast on. I do not recommend you buy a "Twisted Sister" as it is very hard to resell those. Adn yo prob iwll not. Too, shy away from any odd stock configs as they have zero appeal when the time comes for it to go down the road.

There is just one negative. Adn that is this. Numerous guys buy their guns wiht a specific stock config and then after they shoot the gun for month or so decide they want a different stock. Kolar will not trade as a rule. Tehy perhaps will if the stock is still perfect and has no wear (NONE) and is stock from the factory. Usually, you are stuck with a 2 grand cost to replace stocks. And why is this all a problem? because they have these other stocks. If yo bought a Perazzi, you would be making asjustments to the stock you own and not askign Perazzi for some other.

Here is my personal experience wiht a T/S. I bought a new gun fomr them and paid about $6500 at the time and that included nickel recvr and release trigger parts. That was in May of 07. I became shooting sensitive and could not continue (due to report concussion) and gave them the gun to sell at the grand (Sparta 07). They sold that gun and gave me $5800.

I am able to mostly control my adversion to concussion now and wish I had a T/S. I may onwn one again. If you buy new, you will likely be very happy with the gun. Tahyw are built like tanks.

#5 ·
Jack, I did not understand your comment about the "twisted sister" design being undesirable. I thought that all the stocks 6 RH and 6 LH were of a 'twisted sister' concept with a cast at the toe of the stock to avoid gouging the shoulder pocket with the toe of the recoil pad. I think that I could use more drop at the heel than Perazzi seems to put on their standard stocks and I use a recoil pad adjuster to provide this and the cast at the toe. Kolar seems to have these features built into their stocks without the need for a pad adjuster.

#6 ·
Two comments: The twisted sister design fits most shooters surprisingly well and you probably wouldn't realize that until you mount one. Secondly, there is not a better company out there (US at that) when it comes to standing behind their product. They have some of the very best smiths in the business and they go out of their way everyday to please Kolar owners with their willingness to help and support. This starts at the top and goes all the way down.

#7 ·
Mike. You are absolutely right to a degree. But the "Twisted Sister" is off the charts and mostly is a custom stock. A ton of heel in, as much toe out and a drop from comb to pad that only a giraff could fit. It is a stock that you never take off your shoulder simply because they bolt it in at the factory. If it fits as designed you never miss again.

Let me put it this way. I shoot an adj pad. With about and 1/8" heel in and the saem 1/8" toe out. Does help to get into the shoulder "pocket". But when you begin to get wild and crazy (ala Twisted Sister), the stock becomse "one-off" and has little value to the average shooter. Which I am. And I am advising Dan to avoid that inclination.

Mike. You shoot an adj butt pad... yes? how do you adjust yours?

#8 ·
Jon. Wtih agreement as to the quaility of the Kolar company. I agree.

Jon. I am thinking that a Kolar (T/A?) in Top Single config is my next gun. Not a T/S. But I liked their release. I need a number #3 stock.

#9 ·
Jack, on my TMX I lowered the Kickeez pad about 1/2 inch and rotated it a bit and also had the toe rounded off so there is no gouge to my shoulder pocket. My heel drop is about 2 3/4 inches. When I stopped at the Kolar booth in Sparta Jeff fitted me with a #1 RH stock for the T/S and he thought the #3 was too much offset and heel drop for me. The T/S fit me, but I was just tire kicking at the time. I'm still trying to decide if the high rib TMX or conventional rib MX3 suits me better for Handicap before I think about committing a lot of cash for a new gun. Over the week I was ambidextrous ie. equally crappy at Handicap with either gun.

#10 ·
I am a recent owner of a "new-to-me" Kolar combo (34/30) as of early this year. It is a 2002 set in surprisingly good shape. A month or two after purchase John (Kolar owner) suggested I send it in for their "annual" for springs, pins, check everything, treatment. In so doing it puts the gun in my name and reinstates the warranty. This gun has both pull and release hammers (release for me) and the trigger is perfect...nothing like a factory built release that can, if desired, be returned to pull in literally minutes. They are heavier than most guns and that suits me fine, a personal thing as some don't like guns that heavy. These things are built like a space shuttle.

Here is the good part; I have had reason to make several calls to Kolar during this period and a real person answers, no "push 1 for this", "push 2 for that",,etc. I have usually spoke with John himself, and they have made it very easy for me to be happy with the gun and the company. Try that with most any other gunmaker, especially overseas, and even some here in the states.

All the premium guns are expensive so it matters not which one you buy except for the durability and service and I think Kolar equal to any and better than most.

My humble opinion...

Larry Addison

#11 ·
Mike. Kolar T/S is holding value well. But remmeber used T/S guns have this stock fitting issue and no trade backs to Kolar. Perazzi stocks fit more people off the shelf. I would not have sold my T/S, but I thought my shooting career had ended because of the inability to set the trigger. Had I known what I know today, I would still own my T/S. Mike, I can tell you this (and this is a little observed phenomona)... The T/S has the best sight plane beginning of any gun on the market. Some equal it, but bird pick up and the non recvr/rib obstruction are as good as it gets. Better than our TMX guns.

#12 ·
I have a TA and the gun is great. Bought it used at the grand last year it was 1 month old. It was spotless. I saved about $1,200.00 on the gun. it looked like it had never been fired.That could be an option? I stumbled on it At Joel Etchen"s. Another Great person to deal with. I was able to trade in my Berreta 682. If I sold it outright I may not have gotten the same. After shooting it a while.

I was canting the gun I put on a adjustable pad and it is turned quite a bit and the pad is down about 1/2" it looks crazy in the rack but as soon as i mount it, it is right there.

After looking at the stock choices I believe that a #3 would be a pretty close match to what the pad is now. If you buy new GET fitted. Kolar is a GREAT company, and any calls you make to them you, DO talk to someone.

While at the Grand, there booth was the busiest, And a few people came out of the booth with a No Charge and a nice smile on there face. They would tell them Thanks for shooting "KOLAR".I liked the fact that it was a AMERICAN company also.
Bob S

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.