1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info: San Antonio shooting complex

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cueguy2, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I will be in the San Antonio area for awhile in early April. How would I find any shoot info? Nubs Wagner

2. setter

setter Member

above.

3. setter

setter Member

Here's the Complex.

4. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Thanks for the info. Nubs Wagner

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Nubs....the Southwest Grand will be at the shooting complex from 4/10 thru 4/18. Come on out!!!

Ken Rucker

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Nubs....the Southwest Grand will be at the shooting complex from 4/10 thru 4/18. Come on out!!!

Ken Rucker

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

There are many clubs in the San Antonio area besides the two in San Antonio proper. Good clubs with good people. Try to visit as many as possible and take advantage of some good old Texas hospitality. Most have maps at the above link. Jimmy Borum

8. Alamo

Alamo Member

Top Single DT-10,

You are right! Trapshooters are a wonderful community. I live in San Antonio. Please have your brothers contact me and I will be more than happy to introduce them to our local community of trapshooters. We have several excellent clubs to shoot at. It seems to me that it would be a real shame to exclude your brothers from all trapshooting has to offer them in the San Antonio area because some employee (who probably doesn't even shoot) at the Nationals was rude. That employee is certainly not representative of local shooters. Again, the welcome mat is out come on in!

Larry Hancock
    lhancock4@satx.rr.com

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

To follow up with what Larry said.....it is correct that the National Complex is not open for public shooting ( with the exception of the Thursday night leagues). That an employee was rude in their explanation of this complex was rude in their explanation of that is unfortunate, but certainly not the norm out here. The staff here does everything possible to promote the shooting sports. I'm sorry you were greated by someone having an attitude problem that day.

Ken Rucker

10. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Surely he must have run into the infamous Dan Mosely.
    who used to be employed at the Complex If you want to really be welcomed to San Antonio, Go to the San Antonio Gun Club in downtown S.A. or Bexar Ccommunity Gun Club
    Bob Roberts

11. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Again, thanks to all for their input. I guess I just would have "showed up" at the Complex. I will not be in town for the big shoot though. Nubs Wagner

12. shamlin

shamlin Member

So is the National Shooting Complex a private club? I own a company incorporated in San Antonio and was thinking of bringing my gun....maybe not now. Any info would be appreciated.

13. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

The National Shooting Complex is the Headquartes of the National Skeet Shooting Assc. and National Sproting Clays Assc. It is not open to the Public except for Shoots. During the Spring and Summer they have some Leagues for Skeet and Sporting Clays and just open shootintg for Trap. They have instructor courses going on at different times. and Cooperate events going on a lot of times.
    Bob Roberts San Antonio, Tx

14. biff

biff Active Member

Wow! What and introduction for the Southwest Grand! Is that a shoot where you can show up and sign up and shoot? Very discouraging sounding to me. Biff

15. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

try this website. It lists clubs all over the US. Click on Texas. It will show most of the clubs in Texas.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/index.php

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Biff, absolutely you can just show up, sign up, and shoot. Some regional Grands must limit entries and/or targets in order to get the program in, and maybe even require ten targets per post. For instance the Spring Grand in Tucson limits the number of squads, shoots ten per post in singles and handicap, and has only 150 targets for their championship singles in order to get the program done. San Antonio has the room to enable them to get things done right. For instance, the regular days (through Friday) there are 100 singles, 100 handicap, and 50 pair of doubles each day. The singles and handicap are shot the old-fashioned way - five per post, 25 per trap, on four adjacent fields. They still get it done by 5 PM or so each day. If the crowd gets bigger, they just open more banks. The help is well-trained and courteous, and the management has a great free BBQ on Saturday night. The program claims they have more trophies than any other regional Grand.

Give it a try. It is my favorite shoot.

17. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

The NSC has 48 trap fields, 52 Skeet fields and 4 Complete Sporting clay layouts. Along with a Cowboy action range, about 200 camper spots. and the best Handicappers in the country. Tommy Hunter and his trusty helper. Plus a vendor row in metal buildings and then some portable vendors.Plus a big cookout on Sat night up at the Beretta Pavilion that will seat about 1000.
    Bob R.

18. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

The NSC puts on the absolute classiest, best-run Satellite Grand on the circuit.

As for Tommy Hunter's trusty helper........you're the best, Bob Roberts!

19. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Aw your just partial to the Helper, Hope you can make it to the S/W Grand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.