1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info Remington 3200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldshooter, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldshooter

1oldshooter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I need someone to give me some info about the Remington 3200. I bought one recently at an auction, and I would like to know the history of this model. I was told it was made for Remington by Kreighoff a few years back. Is this true? It’s a 30” VR Trap. Looks like new, locks up well right of center, and is stiff to open. I have several Trap guns, but I am trying to find one that fits (a straighter arrow) so this old shooter can break a few. I have a Perazzi, Browning Citori, Beretta 391 Trap, Model 12 Trap; but each must be off as I can’t get 100 straight out of any of them. Thanks for your help. 1oldshooter

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Made by Remington not Kreighoff. If there is a dot in the serial no. the updates have been done. Also take off barrel and look at the firing pin holes should be able to see two allen head screws if updates have been done. They are a good gun and will shoot for several years without problems contrary to what you hear here. Bill
  3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    Actually, the 3200 was released after Krieghoff started manufacturing its own Model 32 using patents purchased from Remington. Remington struggled to sell its Model 32 due to rising assembly costs because of the amount of hand-fitting involved but when it saw Krieghoff doing well with its version, elected to bring an improved gun out called the 3200.

As I recall (I owned a 3200 Competition Trap from the mid-'70s until 1990), there were several trap grades - Trap, Special Trap and Competition Trap. Then there were some 1 of 1,000 and a couple of other limited run models.

There are a lot of 3200 fans on this site, so I'm sure you'll receive numerous knowledgeable replies to your question.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You have come in posession of a very good trap gun. You will be able to shoot many hundeds with it. It will make a very good trap doubles gun also. HMB
  5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Great triggers. I loved mine. I wish I never sold it.

Stuff above good info. The updates talked about above are a factory fix to strengthen the tang to the mono bloc. Often times, the first couple of years worth of production guns would also splinter the forends. Remington replaced the forends and receiver updates free for many years. Now they do not. The repair is pretty expensive and I think there is a gunsmith advertising in Trap & Field that does this. Others here will know better than me about getting the updates from Remington or others.

Hopefully yours is already done or a later model not needing it. Good Luck.
  6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    All good info above. About the only thing remarkably like the original Rem. 32 and the later Krieghoff 32 in the Rem. 3200 is the sliding top lock. Your new gun has terrific mechanical triggers, generally point well, and will serve you well for many years. The current best place for any assistance or repairs is: Laib's Gunsmithing, Pat Laib, 201 North Hwy 23, Spicer, MN 56288 320.796.2686 laib@wecnet.com....breakemall.....Bob Dodd
  7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Firearm Model History

Model 3200
    Description: 12 gauge over/under shotgun
    Introduction Year: 1973
    Year Discontinued: 1984
    Total Production: 42,000 approx.
    Designer/Inventor: John Lindy and staff
    Action Type: Break action
    Caliber/Gauge: 12 gauge