1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info -- Patterning Equipment for Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

One of the clubs where I shoot has recently appointed me in charge of our patterning field. Long overdue, but brought to a head by abuse by members. We had a board made of sheet steel which after applying a coat of gray grease with a roller was great -- as long as people observed the sign saying no shot larger than 7 1/2.

Unfortunately a few knuckleheads went out recently and shot it up with some high brass buckshot, turned it into something resembling the surface of the moon, and then for good measure put a rifled slug through it leaving a hole the size of your thumb. Further, the shooting bench is worthless, so I'd like to replace both items.

So, I've been told I'm to put together a budget. Any recommendations from this learned group? Someone mentioned ones where large rolls of paper can be mounted at the top and pulled down as needed. Given this is in PA, the paper would have to be protected from the weather.

In advance, many thanks,

pdq

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It may not be your members!

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Find a member who can weld and weld up a frame out of angle iron and channel. Across the top use a 1/4" flat plate. At the top of the stand weld on a sheet metal box that has a hindge top that the rolls of paper can be placed into. The bottom of the enclosure box will have a slit/cut out in it for the paper to be pulled straight down and be fastened to a lower support cross member(angle) with heavy duty paper clips. Paper can be found at automotive paint supply. This fram will not be shot up very easily if it is to be used as shot gun patterning.

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I personally like the greased sheet steel, but ...

We've got a paper type pattern board at Nashville, but it's like keeping toilet paper in the bathroom - nobody wants to make sure there's paper and usually you have to tape up some cardboard.

If you decide to go the paper route, stop by your local newspaper and pick up a few rolls of newsprint.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

5. BTM

BTM TS Member

White Wash (Lime), water and a long handled broom painted onto a sheet of steel is as good as anything.

6. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

PDQ,
    If the club likes the idea of the greesed plate metal,Reconstruct the pattern plate using (T-1) Plate metal it has a higher Brinnel hardness and is simular to Armer Plate.
    I used it for constructing our Pistol & Rifle silhouette targets at our club.
    We had a problem with some of our members using large bore magnum rifles punching holes in our targets made of cold roll steel!!!! END OF PROBLEM.

Best Regards,

Harold

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My club had trouble with the pattern stand, too. We finally got a piece of 1/4" x 2" flat steel and welded some 1/2" square to it to form 2, 30" square frames with a 1/4" space between them. This was welded atop 1 2" pipe post. If you want to pattern you bring your own target material to slip between the 30" frames just like you bring your own targets to shoot your rifle.

The "bench" is a piece of telephone pole sunk in the ground for a seat and a piece of pressure treated 8x8 across 2 8x8 uprights sunk in the ground.

MK

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I much prefer paper for patterns. I count holes and keep patterns for several years for future use. But, I do not see how paper could be stored outside. I carry paper with me each time I pattern. Unfortunately, no matter how much a club works to serve its members, some will abuse privileges and tear things up. Some have set rifle/pistol targets on top of our trap houses and shot holes in the houses. I am glad they missed the Pat Traps.

pdq- Visit some salvage yards and locate some steel to plate over your existing dimpled steel. Attach the plates in a manner that will allow easy replacement in a few years. A steel lip on the bottom and a couple of bolts on the top should work.

Pat Ireland

9. pdq

pdq Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, and it sounds like we're not the only ones who have knuckleheads. Pat -- if they set up rifle / pistol shooters doing that at our club, it would be a real problem, as the club is the highest elevation in the county and there's nothing to stop a bullet in front of the trap house for quite a long distance.

What I was hoping was that someone knew of a company who sold a good, heavy duty set-up, versus me searching salvage yards, getting things welded up, etc. Also as it pertains to shooting benches -- something high quality with padded gun rests, weatherproof, etc. If anyone knows of things along this line, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Again, many thanks for all the good suggestions.

Pete

10. pdq

pdq Member

ttt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.