1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Super-X Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redhawk, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk

redhawk Member

Looking at a beautiful Winchester Super-X model-1,30" fixed full original grip cap and butt pad w/ white spacers, monte carlo,good wood, smooth reciever. Doesn't say trap anywhere on it, should it? He,s asking $800.00. Good or bad

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds like a field and if so it is too much

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Probably a very late model. Serial # should be above 80,000. A bit pricey but not far off!!

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

redhawk,

Sounds like you're looking at one of the later model SX1's. These were more put together guns than purpose built, but seem to be the same thing.

These usually had the better triggers (Stage 3) and the soldered rib (no screw at the end of the barrel retaining the rib).

Check the magazine tube and all the workings associated with it. This is the week area. Go ahead and plan on having the bolt buffer changed out if you purchase it.

Hopefully SuperXJeff or chuckles will chime in on the items I missed.

$800 isn't too high if its in 95% or better shape. The price on these guns seem to fluctuate for some reason.

ss

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

If the barrel doesn't say either Improved Modified Trap Choke or Full Trap Choke on the lh side, then it is a field barrel.

Ken Rucker

6. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Ken,
    I will have to disagree with you as yes it is a feild bbl but the trap guns after 88,000 had feild BBLs and gold triggers they were made that way at the factory with clean up part. So yes it is a feild BBl but it is still a trap. How I know this is I have an in the box new that is this way at 88,400. I think thatt some were made before that. As to the price $800.00 is fair but I would not give that I think $700.00 is more fair.
    Thanks
    Matt Stevenson

7. redhawk

redhawk Member

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

9. chuckles

chuckles Member

Let me add a few comments for what its worth....

Monte Carlo stocks were specifically for Trap model SXM1's...

The barrel needs to have Trap spelled out on it to be a Trap barrel...

A stage 3 trigger is not really any better than a stage 1, IMO, and has nothing to do with whether or not a Trap model...

A Plain or non engraved receiver is typically a Field Grade receiver but in reality only means it lacks scroll engraving...

If the Monte Carlo stock is really great looking, highly figured and in excellent shape and if the receiver is a really nice dark blue or blue/black, no scratches or heavy use wear showing, same for barrel, also the bolt and carrier should be nicely Jewelled .....

then the gun is worth the $800.00 asking price....

if showing a lot of use then maybe $550 to $650.00...

as mentioned above it sounds like a late model parts gun...

Put a couple of pictures up and we would have a better idea of worth...

Chuck

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Matt, reread my post. I don't think we disagree......all I was talking about is the barrel itself.....as Chuckles said, if it doesn't say TRAP it isn't a trap barrel. The ribs are different than the field barrels,,,,,

Ken

11. gramulin

gramulin TS Member

Does it have a gold trigger?? What are the first 3 numbers of the SN#. If it is a "Clean-up Gun" the barrel will NOT say "Trap" on it. Like Mr. Stevenson said. It will only say full. Pat

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Guys.....I'm not saying some of the Olin guns didn't have Field full choke barrels on them......I'm just saying if it does't say "TRAP" in the choke description, it's not an SX-1 REAL trap barrel. On the trap barrels, the rib is .040 higher at the second rib post than a field barrel.

Ken

13. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Ken,
    Sorry I read it wrong.

14. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Also Ken I got the bolt looks great. Your net care package went out on friday I would guess it will be there on Mon or Tue.
    Thanks Again
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.