1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Spolar reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Ok, I am about ready to make the jump into a Spolar, but I have a few questions that I figured you folks could answer. First is, I shoot Alliant E-3 powder and can find no info on which bushing I would need for 18.5 grains. In fact I can find no info at all for E-3 powder bushings. Second is, is there a waiting period to get the reloader shipped to your door such as 2 to 3 months from what I read on a post a few months ago. Last is do you have to use the Spolar Gold Wads? I am really partial to Downrange Neon Green and Blue 1 1/8oz wads.
    Thanks for your input and info Tom

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can use any wad that you desire.

A call to Dicksie will answer all your other questions.

3. Don K8020

Don K8020 TS Member

Spolar uses Hornady powder and shot bushings. According to the Hornady bushing chart, 18.5 gr. of Alliant e3 uses a 471 bushing. Of course, this is only an approximation (I couldn't find the bushing chart on the Hornady website -- I had to google "Hornady bushing chart" and among the several listings was a pdf file of the bushing chart for the Hornady 366 Auto press).

When you order your Spolar, they will ask you what reload recipe you want the loader set up for (hull, primer, powder and amt, shot size and amount, wad). They will install the appropriate bushings and operate the press to make sure it throws the correct amount of powder and shot. Although the bushing chart may say 471 for 18.5 grains, you may end up with a 474 or 477 or 465 or whatever. They will set up the press to use any wad you want. You will find that you can use different wads without having to adjust the press (at least with the same amount of shot, not sure that holds true if you change shot amount). One reloader here on TS a couple of years ago randomly loaded Rem, Fed, and Win hulls on his new Spolar making no adjustments and got perfect reloads (with photos to prove it).

There is some lead time involved as each press is made pretty much to order. When I ordered mine a couple of years ago I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks to build. It was ready to ship in six weeks and I got everything I ordered (press, hydraulics, load bench) about a week later. The worst time to order is right after the Grand in August as that's when they get the most orders each year, and the production lead time is the longest.

The Carter family is great to talk with and will answer all your questions. Give them a call.

When I got my Spolar, one of the documents included was a powder bushing chart.

Hornady includes the bushing chart in their catalog.

Don Anderson (Spolar #2117)

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Go to hornady.com a 465 bushing is 18.0 grains, 477 is 19.0

Spolar will set your reloader up for whatever you want to shoot and will send you a loaded shell that was loaded on your machine. You do not have to use Spolar wads with the Spolar Gold but they are very good wads and I use quite a few of them. I also use several other Downrange wads, Remington, Winchester and Claybusters.

Call Dicksie & Carter they can answer all your questions. If you shoot sub gauges it takes 5 min. to change to a different gauge. I took a long time to buy a Spolar and if I would have truly known how nice they are to reload on I would have bought one years earlier.

Jack

Spolar # 0159

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You'll find that it's much cheaper to use MEC powder bushings, You can buy an insert to put in the Spolar charge bar that will hold MEC bushings. I've found that the MEC bushings are either right on dropping the published amount of powder or darn close to it. The hornady bushings have been way off in many cases.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Order the hydraulic unit with the new machine and you will never look back. The Spolar wads are top notch and seem to work with all loads. Just ordered 10,000. Fred

7. crk

crk Member

That's a lot of E3 - but when you order your Spolar Gold, they will ask you your load and help you get the right bushings. At present the lead time quoted is still about 6 weeks.

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

+1 all the above. I ordered mine last year and Dicksie called exactly when she said it would be built to confirm the order. If I remember right it was around 6 weeks, but I ordered right after the Grand. It will be built to your recipe, no worries there. I've loaded both Winchester (red & grey) and Remington (green and gold) with no issues for either one. Spolar says the Remingtons load better and I would agree with that. Look like factory loads when done. I've used both Winchester and Claybuster wads with equal results but I like the CB wads a little better. I've also loaded everything from 7.5 to 9 shot. For a 7/8oz of 7.5 shot it loads perfectly. Also for 1 1/8oz of 8 shot. For 1 1/8 of 8.5 shot the crimps were a little deep and not to my liking. For 7/8oz of 9 shot the loads were good and provide a nice skeet or 1st barrel double trap load. I have several bushing ($6 each) and use Clays powder and Win209 primers for all the above at Spolars recommendation.

HJH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hornady shot bushing chart
spolar

spolar gold reloader review

spolar powder bushing chart

spolar reloader reviews

spolar reloading bushing
spolar reviews
spolar shot bushing chart