1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info On Shoot Coolant.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I need some info on what kind of coolant is cheap, easy to clean up and so on. I just finished putting up my tower and will try to see if things work the way I want it to. All I have to do now is run a wire to it and plug things in. Here are some pic's. The shot will drop to or in a 55 gal drum that stands 3 feet tall. That means the shot will drop 22 feet. I still have 15 feet till I touch the roof to work with if needed.
    auctioneer_2009_0507110.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507111.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507112.jpg

auctioneer_2009_0507113.jpg

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I dont think your plan is going to work.. If you are going to drop it not using the Bleimeister process you are going to have to have about 150 foot tall tower..
    but to answer your question.. I use a solibule oil called "trim sol"..

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I also tried this 20 years ago from the roof of my house,(you should have seen the neighbors watching me drag the cutting torches up the roof..lol..) before I had the internet to do any research..lol.. I caught my yard on fire from the hot lead that missed my water bucket..

4. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i shure wouldnt want to carry up 500 lbs of lead,and sit up there adding ingots every 2 minutes(what if nature calls??),and how mutch weight can safely be up on the tower?i drop 1/4 in into dot 3 brake fluid,i get for free(tank holds 12 gallons)and it rinses with water,im one that is afraid of heights,and with all thats going on with making shot,i dont want to be 20 plus feet off the ground.to find myself at ground level in a split second.i know they say we shot makers are a crazy bunch for all the added work,and hazards,but this may push it to a new level.,hope you use a safty harness,and be very careful,also consult jim stewart on the wiring,you may want to hard wire with heavy enough wire,is your shot maker 220???mark

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For us non-shotmakers, what is the "Bleimeister process"? Sounds like a German WWII War secret. LOL I remember seeing the shot towers(least thats what i thought they were) at Winchester/Western now Olin Brass in Alton, IL. They were huge. I think.

Matt

6. Auctioneer

I called one of the shot makers in the mid west and talked to them. They said with smaller shot the drop doesn't have to be that far if the temps are right. Once it heats up then you have to wait till it cools down. If its hot or warmer then you have to have a higher tower. If its cooler then 20 25 feet can work for smaller shot. I'm making 7 1/2 shot. My shotmaker is 110 but would like to up grade to a 220 if or when I get the money.

I also have a pully system to pic up the buckets that have the lead in them. All I have to do is lower a rope with a hook and hook the handle and then pull it up. I'm not trying to pull up 500 pounds but enough to do what I need to for the days temp.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Matt..its a German WWII War secret.. sorry..

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I didnt realize you were using a shotmaker.. I figured you were dropping it through a shot pan.. what do you hope you will gain by dropping it this far? vs. the normal distance recommended by the shotmakers..please let us know the out come!! thanks!

9. Auctioneer

I will but now I have to work on making some ingots and then work on the shotmaking.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

He is looking for rounder shot - me thinks?

Don Verna

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia:
    The Bliemeister method, named for Louis Bliemeister, the man who patented it, is a process for making lead shot in small sizes which has largely supplanted the shot tower method. In this process, metered molten lead is dropped approximately 1 in (25 mm) into hot water, rolled along an incline and then dropped another 3 ft (0.91 m). The water temperature controls the cooling rate of the lead, while the surface tension brings the ball into a spherical form.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thank you Bob.

Matt

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It doesn't matter what you use for coolant with a long free fall. If the shot is not hard by the time it gets to the coolant it won't matter what you use, You'll get flattened shot. In a shot tower the water is just a cushion for the hardened shot.

Jim

14. Auctioneer

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What are you trying to do, get rid of the dimples?

16. Auctioneer

Make rounder and better shot without all the cost from coolants.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

check out "chipmaker" 's video on here. He has the solution

18. Auctioneer

Yeah I HAVE. I would love to have one of those but he has said that he will not be making any to sell and or sell the plans for someone to build. Great systems and I wuld love to have one.

19. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I would think that plain water would be fine for small shot that has fallen 20 feet. I make shot and have used crop oil--too hard to clean, Sun--too thick to separate in my set up and now anti freeze. I would love to try the brake fluid but can't find a source that is agreeable in price.
    I have cast many thousands of bullets in past years and dropped some into water straight from the mould to harden them with good results. Shot that has fallen 20 feet should be as round as it will get and "frozen" to where deformation when it hits the coolant should not occour. I would try straight water first.

Hope this works and am interested with your project.

Good Luck
    Jim

20. plinker611

plinker611 Member

jim,i get mine free,if you have any brake shops,service shops or dealerships that do a brake system flush they have a machine that has a 5 gallon resivor that holds the old (scrap)fluid.every time we run a flush we re prime the machine with new fluid,40% of fluid in scrap tank is from repriming,i run a stewart black max,and in the last 4 yrs have run 5 ton or better with scrap brake fluid i get for free,the moore you run the better it gets,my tank is a harbor freight parts washer 12 gallons,and i do run fluid through a cooler,if using brake fluid i reccomend draining your tank,into a air tight container if machine is going to set idle(moore than a week),expecially during humid weather.where are you located??i have access to 8 flush machines and i could round up 10 gallons a month,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bliemeister method

bliemeister method video