1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on selling guns on trapshooters

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by 338reddog, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

I have a few guns I would like to list but I am unsure if I need to ship from a FFL. And If I do what to charge for that service. I dont want to make any money on shipping, but I need to cover my cost. I need to gather some info to make the transactions as smooth as poss. Sorry if I posted to wrong section

Here is what I am planning on listing
    Browning XT 30"
    Browning 53 32-20
    Marlin 1894 cl 218 Bee
    Winchester 63 22 LR
    Winchester 12 16ga solid rib
    Winchester 94 32 Win Spcl
    Winchester 1894 30-30 SRC
    I may list some on Gun Broker as most arnt trap guns.

Jeff

2. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

0   0   0

Jeff: generally you don't have to ship from an FFL but federal law requires you ship to an agreed upon buyers FFL. Using an FFL to ship from may simplify things depending on your shipping method and the buyers state of residence (some CA FFL will not receive guns from individuals). Remember that UPS and FedEx shipments must be taken to the local center, not a UPS store, Kinko's or other "3rd party" outlet. Insurance is what it says - it's like your auto insurance - may not keep you out of the crash but helps if your in one. Doug

PS check you PM.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Sorry. Not true. but you do have to label your FedEx off the web, affix the label andthen drop it at any fedEx drop point. Cazadore knows his stuff but not all that some others do.

4. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

Thanks Doug:
    I will have to call a gun shop and ask their charge for shipping. Also I will need to buy some shipping cases and get an idea of fedex shipping cost. I know some shippers only allow coverage up to $500 unless you have shipper accounts. At least that is the case with fedex and ups with diamonds. Only usps will offer insurance above $500. Does any one know if this is the case with guns?

5. JACK

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Oh Please! Talk to folks that ship guns!

bears win.

6. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

I thought that who I was addressing with my questions and statements. My knowledge is only about diamonds and jewelery. Oh Please! if you are reffering to my question/statement about insurence limits with my jewelry excperiance it is a legitmate question.

7. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

0   0   0

That's the "convenience" of using an FFL who ships all the time. UPS or FedEx can help you with the insurance question. Many UPS Stores we have encountered in TX and IL have quit taking "high value" items. But they are third party owned - not UPS.

From the ATF website.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Get an account with Fed Ex. Costs nothing. They bill your CC.

Get forms at Fed Ex hub and fill them out before you go to hub.

An FFL may receive firearms from an individual. Some states require otherwise. Shops may have different policy.

Reason is, if buyer refuses gun, transferring dealer cannot send gun back to Private Person, but has to keep gun in inventory until FFL is retained by seller.

Box arm securely (put the gun box in a STRONG shipping box, eliminate "rattle"), they never ask me what is in the box, but since my Co name is Guntrainer, they probably have an idea. LOL

If they ask what is in box, tell them. "Machined Parts" is bull. No biggie. "Routine Commerce" is the key.

Insure the gun so you are not in the hole if gun is lost or damaged.

Handguns must be declared by a Private Person, must use Fed Ex or UPS, and shipped next day ($$$).

I get a lot of stuff in by UPS, but ship out with Fed Ex. They are less fussy on the counter, more polite, and my carry arm is allowed in their facility. UPS does not allow legal carry in their hub. Their policy, MY choice.

I tell a first time buyer to pay with USPS money order, for fraud protection. They don't know me, and I don't care how they pay. Some folks are very apprehensive about buying online. There are folks out there who will take you if they can. If it sounds too good to be true, it often is, UNLESS I AM SELLING IT! (snicker)

DON'T SEND PAYMENT BY CERTIFIED OR REGISTERED MAIL. It takes twice as long to get payment to the seller. Recently, it took TEN DAYS to get payment by Registered mail, and cost the buyer extra bucks. He was in a hurry to get his new toy. It did not happen. Regular mail gets there in two or three days.

DON'T GET IN A CHILDISH HURRY TO GET THE GUN. They are typically shipped out within a few days.

ONLY SEND A FIREARM TO A FFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to get product out the next day after payment is received, but cannot always do this.

Repeat buyers usually get gun sent when I get FFL faxed or emailed, payment usually gets to me when gun gets to them.

Eric M, Gene N, and others get guns shipped immediately upon receipt of FFL. I KNOW I will get payment from them. LOL

A while back, I cashed a check from Eric and forgot I did. What a circus. He had to describe the check for me. Getting old ain't for sissies!

9. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info guys. I always have perferred fedex but with jewelry its been USPS. Fedex always wants to know whats in th box. Some times its 25000 worth of diamonds. I have only shipped long guns to the factories and that was 12 years ago.

Jeff

10. 4painter

4painter Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   1

how much for the 63,is that one a auto

11. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

4painter
    Yes its the auto. 1949 year gun. I have an offer of $750. The gun is very nice.

12. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

0   0   0

338reddog check your PM

It always amazes me the difference in personnel of the various carriers from one location to the next. We use UPS as we see the same two guys all the time - FedEx is a crap shoot for us. Can't complain about the service, just a different face each time and you never know when they might show up. Doug

13. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

Doug
    Only one pm from you. reply sent

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

one piece of advice strangely missing here: SELL IT CHEAP"

15. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

EuroJoe
    I dont need to have a fire sale. But I will try and price fair for both parties.

16. JACK

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Some good info form cazadore. I have the same person form FedEx except by rare time off. I too have a good relationship with the UPS guy but I refuse to pay their $10 weekly fee. USPS is good too in my town, But FedEx seems cheaper. I still use USPS on smaller items (non-guns)

And a further thing of note. If you ship a Receiver without a bbl you have to ship FFL to FFL. The ATF treats a bare receiver as a handgun.

And in the rare times you get objections because of addl state laws, learn and abide.

17. 338reddog

338reddog Member

0   0   0

got back to the pm. need to get new camera this was from phone. terrible pics dont do justice to this 1949 solid rib model 12. 28" full choke barrel.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

"And a further thing of note. If you ship a Receiver without a bbl you have to ship FFL to FFL. The ATF treats a bare receiver as a handgun." -MIA

Can you point to a state or federal regulation that backs this up? I've never seen anything close to this mentioned on the ATF website.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

The receiver is the gun, and has the serial number if tracking is needed. You can purchase after market stocks, barrels, triggers, sights, etc online or at outlets everywhere, but not receivers.

I'm sure if you read the whole book carefully you will find that info.

Joe Potoskey's website, losttarget.com has all the shipping rules from the shippers and the ATF.

HM

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

HM- I understand that a receiver by itself is considered a gun. I do not agree that a long gun receiver by itself is considered a HANDGUN, which MIA contends. The receiver for a long gun is treated as a long gun, and the same rules apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.