1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info On Repair of Bronze Statue

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I put up a mirror that I just bought and the screws came loose and it knocked down a clock with a broze statue. It knocked off the head and cracked the base. Has anyone here had a repair done to broze and was it done to your liking? I'm in Va and would like to find a place that I can drive to for repairs.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It should be able to be brazed - this will be a lighter color than the bronze and will leave a slag that will need to be removed - it can be chemically 'aged' to return the patina of your original finish.

Brazing can be done by anyone who can use an oxy-acetylene torch.

TIG welding can do a very fine repair, but you need someone trained to the task. A GOOD welding shop should be able to do this, but it might cost a few bucks.

Again, the area of the repair may need to be aged with chemicals (it should be smaller than if done with a torch).

Your call, and good luck.

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

In Fredericksburg, there is a company that cast bronze. Perhaps they could repair. Wegner Metal (?)

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Are you sure its Bronze or pot metal?

If its bronze or cast brass it can be repaired by heat, although if is gold plated, you will lose the finish.

There used to be a good man in Chicago who did fantastic work. He was an older man years ago but if you inquire, he or someone may still be in business.

His name just hit me.

It is or was Mort Jacobs Objects of Art.

Good luck....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.