1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on old SXS ????????????????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BPSR, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPSR

BPSR Member

Can anyone tell me how old a double barrel I have is? It is made by Syracuse arms. The only thing else I see on the barrel is improved damascus. There is an apparent serial number inside the action: 18854. This has been in my fathers side of the family for many years, was just handed down to me. It isn't very pretty, with virtually no blueing left on the gun. A lot of pitting/rust staining on the receiver and barrels. Just curious as to how old this thing is.

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

You could ask on :
    www.doublegunjournal.com

Jerald MI

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Turn of the century (19-20) If damascus, it is not a shooter.

4. BPSR

BPSR Member

Believe me, I don't plan on shooting this gun. Actually I don't think it will fire, both firing pins are protruding out as if fired, but they will not recock. It's kind of of neat looking old gun, even in the poor shape, finish wise it's in. I was just curious as to the age of it, it sure is a heavy old thing. What era did sxs become hammerless, this gun has no hammers.
    My dad's cousin was going to take it to a local consignment auction, he came to visit on his way to the area of the auction, and while enroute decided to give it to my dad instead. My dad asked him if he would mind if he gave it to me, to which he said no problem, so it is now my newfound conversation piece. It belonged to their uncle whom I never met, too bad he probably would have had some good stories to go along with the gun I'm sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.