1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info on Nikon Binoculars

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm looking at two different pairs of Nikon binoculars. One is a Nikon 10x25 Travelite, the other is a Nikon 8-24x25 zoom travelite. Does anyone here know of either one and the pro's and con on each. Thanks. They are for hunting.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My opinion is anything bigger that 8X40 is to hard to hold steady.

Bill

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

10x24 will be very poor in low light and difficult to hold steady. Any zoom type binoculars should be avoided as the quality of optics will be very poor. In the small compact binos get the lowest fixed power available in the model you can aford.

4. mobear

mobear Member

I have 2 different nikon binoculars, one is 10x25 realtree, the other is the 7x35 action ex.

Both are great optics, the 10x25's work great for hunting, especially if you are hunting in a wooded area, work good in low light, very clear viewing, and are easy to hold steady.

The 7x35 action ex, are the best of the 2, in low light they brighten everything up very well, crystal clear viewing, and are not to big that you couldnt use them in any hunting situation.

When my father and I went to camp perry a few weeks ago, they were shooting the high power matches and they were at the 600 yard range, with the 7x35's I could see the rings on the targets very clearly and when they brought up the targets with the scoring banner on the side, I could read the banner like I was standing in front of it.

You wont go wrong with whatever nikon you choose, but think you would be better to stick with the fixed power.

Dan

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I needed a waterproof, compact, 10x binocular for hunting and general use. Looked over the various makes and models with those specs.<br>
    <br>
    Bought a Bushnell H2O rubber armored, waterproof, camo 10x25. (These also come in black.) Actually, I bought two, one for me and one for my son.<br>
    <br>
    These are an incredibly good buy, and for a budget priced binocular, their performance is approaching some of the better, and far more expensive, binoculars. They are clear, images are sharp, contrast is very good, no pincushion or other distortion, and absolutely no spectrum separation (the fuzzy blue and amber edges around objects).<br>
    <br>
    1-x can be held steady provided you are in a steady position. 10x cannot be used very well in a moving vehicle, be it a car or a boat. 7x is your best bet for those applications.<br>
    <br>
    Like ALL 10x25 binoculars, they do lose a lot of light towards dusk, much more rapidly than a larger, heavier binocular, like a 10x35 or 10x42. When compared to a higher end binocular, the more expensive binocular can transmit a little more light, but the difference is slight. In practical terms they don't give you more than a couple minutes more time at dusk. To get more time, you need to get a bigger objective lens, not a more expensive binocular.<br>
    <br>
    As for the Bushnell 10x25 H2O model in particular, I really like their compact size. I can easily carry them in a jacket pocket, which makes them far more readily available than a larger binocular. You can take them almost anywhere, and I carry mine much more often when traveling than for hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.