1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Mobile homes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm thinking seriously about buying a 1976 Norris mobile home. 14x70, 2 bedroon, 2 bath. Does anyony have a good idea of the approximate value? It seems to be in very good condition. What should I be looking for in the way of items that take away from the value? Thanks, Bulge.

2. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Call me-I have all th info you will need.781-910-0313.Dennis.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Tornadoes don't like them!!

Curt

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thank God were not in a tornado prone area. Bulge

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A 33 year old mobile home is getting pretty long in the tooth, especially all the systems that make you comfortable; water, electric, furnace, AC, plumbing, roof, and so on. I'd certainly beware of all those details besides the appearance.....Bob Dodd

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

In many parts of Florida, some people would practically give away a 33 year old mobile home if someone else would just haul it off the lot.

Lots of trailer parks here charge rent FOREVER on the mobile home you have on their lot. Further, this rent keeps increasing every year.

The quality of mobile homes built back in the 1970's wasn't very good to start with. In recent years, stricter building codes have been responsible for better built mobile homes.

As far as items which subtract from the value, here is a partial list:

Heating/cooling system

Plumbing

Electrical System (capacity and condition)

Roof (Age and condition)

Insulation (or lack thereof)

Windows (Single pane or Double pane and condition thereof)

Flooring (particularly in kitchen and bath since particle board doesn't stand up well to water)

Exterior condition

If any one of the above items has significant deficiencies, you could easily spend more to fix it than the mobile home is worth.

Another thing to consider is whether it can be moved to a different location (if necessary). That's another huge expense that could be a deal killer. Some mobile homes just aren't worth the cost involved in moving them.

Easystreet

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Made a mistake it is an 87 not 76. It is in a park and the people seem to keep up the neighborhood appearance fairly well. Mostly retirees. This is in Pennsylvania about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh. Lot rental seems to be pretty decent at just less than $200 a month. Bulge

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If it was built in 1987, I think that was about the time they used the gray plastic plumbing supply lines which later proved to be defective. I think there was a recall on this plastic pipe. Take a look and see if it has gray plastic supply lines. If so, plan on replacing them.

Also, being as it's in PA, I would ask to see the heating bills for the past few winters. Many of these mobile homes weren't insulated very well. Heating it could cost more than the lot rent.

I'm not trying to be negative about the deal even though it may sound that way. I'm just trying to tell you some things to look out for. Good luck.

Easystreet

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Easy, I didn't take as you being negative. I have to look at all angles. My daughter wants to live there. The whole park is heated by electric no gas lines. Budget for the year is $137 per month which doesn't seem bad to me.It's about a mile away from a state park with very good fishing. That's a plus for me. I will check the gray pipe. Bulge

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

ill tell you this much i live in a 98 16x80 rollohome top of the line best windows insulation thick walls 16" on center orig cost 70k and my electric and gas in winter is 300-350 our lot rent is 457 here in wi not much of a deal in long run but it was repoed got cheap and when its paid for it will make nice cottage

11. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

the main issues are the rubber roof and floors on most old ones if its not soft water look where heater is they get heavy with lime and bow floor seen it alot and around toilets and all any leak floors are done

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  13. capvan

capvan Active Member

We've lived in a manufactured home that was built in 1980 for about 9 years. Nice park, rent is $234 a month which includes snow removal and sewer. We've got space for nice gardens and the park is very quiet and well maintained. Just doesn't get any better. We burn about 250 gal. of kero for heat (Vermont). Economical, maintenance-easy living which gives us more time for shooting!

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.