1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need info on Mauser single bbl trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CHE, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHE

CHE TS Member

I need any info you can give me on a single bbl trap gun marked Mauser*Bauer*Fraser*Mich on the bbl also Mauser mod. 496, it is a single bbl trap gun 34" bbls 3/8" wide vent rib, beavertail forend, full choke, no safety montecarlo butt stock with a buttpad with the Mauser logo and "Original" on it.
    It's a nice gun but I never heard of it. Are they any good and what would be a ballpark value? tom

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the value but had a friend (GRHS) that had a Mauser OU. My recollection is that it was not made by Mauser and was a commissioned gun made by another manufacturer somewhere in Europe. Where was this single barrel made?

3. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Che,
    I don't know anything specific abou tthe Model 496, but my dad has 2 Mauser Bauers. 1 is a single barrel 34" trap gun. Great fit/finish with a super strong lock up design and huge monoblock. My dad's also came from a distributor in the Fraser, Mich. area. These guns were double the price of a Perazzi TM-1 at the time. Not that I would expect them to be worth that now but it does give you an idea of what you are looking at. My dad's gun has a removable trigger with some of the nicest looking jeweling to the trigger components I've seen in a factory gun. He also had an O/U from the same era... early to mid 70's.

4. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Che,
    I don't know anything specific abou tthe Model 496, but my dad has 2 Mauser Bauers. 1 is a single barrel 34" trap gun. Great fit/finish with a super strong lock up design and huge monoblock. My dad's also came from a distributor in the Fraser, Mich. area. These guns were double the price of a Perazzi TM-1 at the time. Not that I would expect them to be worth that now but it does give you an idea of what you are looking at. My dad's gun has a removable trigger with some of the nicest looking jeweling to the trigger components I've seen in a factory gun. He also had an O/U from the same era... early to mid 70's.

5. Barry C. Roach

I don't know anything about the value of your single but had a friend (GRHS) that had a Mauser OU. It was not made by Mauser as I recollect but was a commissioned gun by Mauser manufactured somewhere in Europe.

6. Barry C. Roach

I don't know anything about the value of your single but had a friend (GRHS) that had a Mauser OU. It was not made by Mauser as I recollect but was a commissioned gun by Mauser manufactured somewhere in Europe.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I had & shot an O/U back in the late '70's. They are OK,decently put together. About equal to the 70's Miroku trap guns & SKB's. Very good,reasonable starter gun for a new shooter. Not as refined as a good BT-99 or close to an older Beretta 682 oversingle. Value is $500+ for some lite wear to maybe $700-750 for a 100% gun. May be a bit low on $$$. 34" a serious plus. Shoot it & tell us what you think. Tom also.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have a Mauser/Bauer SBT as well as an O/U skeet gun. Guns were purchased directly from the distributor (Bauer) about 1972-73. SBT is as robustly built as any gun I have seen. Double under locking lugs as well as a greener bolt system. Locks at four points to a very strong block/barrel section. Trigger is a non drop out leaf spring type that after minor work is very nice. Gun is a little on the heavy side feeling much like my Mono Guns. Gun was mfg for Mauser/Bauer bu Gambi (Renati). In my opinion it is one of the strongest guns ever offered. One in decent shape would be a steal at anything less than $1000.

The O/U skeet gun is very finely built. It features a drop out trigger group that is finished like a piece of jewelry. Very nice gun that by far has a better fit an finish than the Perazzi MX-8 or Mirage of the same time period.

During there brief offering these guns were priced considerably higher than a comparable P-Gun. Their demise in the American market was not caused by product quality but rather by Distributor financial problems.

I would be glad to offer what I can to individual responses. Just send me a PM. It may take a while to get back to you as my Son is building me a new computer. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
info on mauser 496 shootgun
mauser 496
mauser 73 trap

mauser bauer 396 shotgun

mauser single barrel trap shotgun
mauser trap single shot