1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info On Log Splitters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I'm looking at two diff log splitters. One is a Timberwolf TW2HD and the other is a Northstar 32 ton with a 270cc engine. Both are gas. I now have a MTD splitter that is at the right heighth for the back and its not a knee knocker. How are the other two for heighth and do they stand up to hard usage?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the ones you mentioned, but do have a 27 ton that came from Sears. Not had a problemn with it and don't expect to, Well worth the money.

GneJ

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You should look at the NorthStar 37 ton splitter. It has idle control on the engine so it will save on fuel. The 37 ton appears to be taller than the 32 ton. The 37 ton will split vertical too.

i an not too hot on a log lifter since I have a tractor with a loader. My wood comes in on my trailer and I off load from the trailer to the tractor bucket and then split.

My current splitter (borrowed from a good ex-neighbor) is 36" to the top of the beam.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Auctioneer

SkeelJc, That is one heavy duty splitter. 2 cylinders.

The two that I'm looking at is to help my bad back. Both have a hydralic log lift. You roll a log up into the arm and it will raise it to the splitter. No more bending over and trying to lift it up and or on your knee's trying to roll it into place. I have had surgery on one knee and most likely in time the the other. Getting old is not for the wimps.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Both of the ones you mentioned are better than the one I'm currently using (an 8lb maul).

I split a couple of pickups loads today. I am flat a** tired. That thing will wear you out.

6. Auctioneer

When I was a teenager all I had was a maul and wedges. I sold firewood to weekend party money. I did have a good body tone at that age because of that.

Now that the wisdom of youth has caught up to me and I'm older and wiser I have to use hydralic log splitters. I burn any where from 4 cords to 7 cords a year. I have a woodstove in the shop, a woodstove in the house and one in the basement to in the reloading room. I have a woodshed that will hold 3 years worth of wood. One bay for this year, the second for next year and the third for the year after. The reason is if I get hurt and or sick I have two years of wood in the shed. Thats 21 cords of wood.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bisi,

I hear you, I split a half cord of maple yesterday with a maul, I can barley open and close my hands this morning! (I'm down to the BIG notty rounds}.

Sometimes I go to a wedge and a 3 lbs sledge, more hits but easier swinging.

In my area Craigslist has quite a few used splitters, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

heavy duty log splitters with lift arm