1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info On Leaf Grinders or Mulchers For Yard

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friends wife has a small leaf grinder that she used to grind up leaves for her garden. Its OK but now they want something better. I looked on Google and found the same old stuff that she has. Does anyone know of a better machine to grind up leaves for her garden? Or plans to build one? Thanks.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A pass or two with the mulching plate on my mower breaks the leaves down to -1/4". Then I take the mulcher plate off and go over them again to bag the material up. Works with my walk behind mower or lawn tractor.

A leaf blower/vac will also do this but is a lot more work.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use my mower.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Bagger mower (or bagger lawn tractor if you're talking about a big yard). The lawn tractors aren't as good as they used to be because some genius invented the ventilated mower deck. Don't know the reason, but now they shred poorly, won't pick up half the yard waste you run over, - and definitely no sticks.

If they insist on a shredder vac, I'd take a look at the Echo ES-255. The shop told me that it was the only one with metal blades and "would handle gum balls". It was $329 so I went back home and fired up the bagger mower and set it on low (I had two sweet gum trees). It worked great. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Three years ago I bought a Sthil shredder vac, blower combo. Works wonderfully

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.