1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Hand Held GPS - Looking to Buy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I am in the market for a hand held GPS. This will be strictly for sporting purposes and does not need to have all of the fancy stuff that comes in the automotive models like where the neared Greek restaurant is. Looking for one to take in the boat as well as into the woods. Would like the availability to run it off of a 12V supply or allow it to be portable. Not really wanting to break the bank yet I don't buy cheap either. With so many out there to pick from, what do you guys use and what do you recommend?

Jeff

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've had great luck with the Lowrance Ifinder handheld units.
    AndyH

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Do you need directions to a place you've never been OR only to get back to a place you been before?!

To locate the same fishing spot on water or getting back to the deer blind or camp after nightfall or before sunrise, I use a basic Garmin E-Trex (yellow).

If you need some mapping, consider the more expensive models.

My $0.02,

Jay

4. BrotherwolfCA

BrotherwolfCA TS Member

GoldEx, Look no further than the brand name "Garmin" for hand held GPS units. I suggest you purchase one of the Map 76 models. I own the Map 76cx which comes with expandable memory and a colour screen. My occupation as a forest operations supervisor demands that I use one of these devices every day in the field. From -25F to 90F and from rain to snow the Garmin brand is simply the best unit on the market hands down. Best of luck with your new purchase.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I've had an E-trex Legend for 5 years. I bought it for hiking, but it works so
    poorly in the woods, that I hardly use it anymore.
    The antenna's on the car GPS's work so well, I have to think there are handhelds now that are way better than mine.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jeff, I have a Garmin E-Trex. Used very little that I'd take 45.00 for.Same one Jay is talking about. Think I paid 119.00 for it. Also have manual. Steve

7. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I have a Garmin 45 that is maybe 15 years old (bought new) and would not trade it for anything, but they are no longer available. Me & my buds would go scuba diving out of a 14 foot inflatable in the Keys and be 20 to 30 miles away from the dock on the front or back sides and it got us back every time.

I also have a larger color Garmin w/blue water charts in my offshore boat and another in my pickup.

Garmins have a very user friendly interface. If you skim through the manual you should be navigating in no time. I believe Garmin sells a video to walk you through the paces. If you have limited navigational skills the video would be worth the money.

My 45 ran easy for a few days on a set of AA batteries.

Eric

8. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

I agree with BrotherwolfCA, The Garmin Map 76 series is the way to go. I decided to go with this model because it FLOATS! This could be a big issue when using it for fishing. E-bay has some pretty good deals. I upgraded mine on the Garmin website to accept 1000 waypoints. The E-trex units are good also and are more compact. I have 2 handheld and 1 for the car - all Garmins- never any problems.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have an e-Trex Legend CX. It has a removable memory chip on it that is large enough that I have loaded topographic maps of the entire western lower 48, from mid Texas west. If I wanted I could do the same for the east half, and just change out chips if I wanted to go east. The quality of the mapping varies. For instance, on the stretch of I-15 near Tremonton UT it shows me to be about a mile west of the indicated highway, traveling cross country. On the other hand when antelope hunting north of Teigen MT last year it showed all the dirt roads we were on out in the middle of nowhere.

It's a neat toy to have.

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

AATrap -

PM sent.

Jeff

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

GoldEx--e-mail sent. BIG PAPA--you have a PM.

Thanks, Steve

12. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I've used several over the years and Garmin is by far the best in my opinion. I have one in the car and I also have a 60CSx hand held. The antana is much better on the 60 series than anything I have ever had.
    Spend the extra bucks a get a good one. When you need a GPS you need a good one.
    You will use the map and topo more than you think you would.
    Paul

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 (complete set up, all chargers and mounts) for $200 last week, my brother paid twice that plus shipping for the same unit not long ago ... Get on over to EBay because they have a sale to beat all sales on there of any and every type of GPS you can think of some of them as much as 60% off retail ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I have an Lowrance I hunt in color that I paid a lot of money for. It is a piece of junk/ Takes forever to get your location, the twelve volt adapter mode doesn't work and some other issues. Talked to Lowrance and they told me $150 to look at it. Get anything but Lowrance. Had a Garmin before and it was great. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.