1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need info on gun insurance for college student

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Jul 16, 2013.

1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a college bound young friend who is taking his trapgun-- his father said their homeowners insurance only shows coverage to 150 mile travel distance!
    $4000 beretta como set makes the father nervous!!

any ideas for affordable coverage? wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Is he living on campus or in an apartment? Hopefully he has checked with the college, if planning on storing in a dorm room. If he is living in an apartment, he should look into renter's insurance, with a rider to cover his gun. Talk to your insurance agent. Mark

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Sportsmans Insurance Agency in FL.

Oregunner asks good questions. If he's staying in a dorm, its very unlikely it would be legal for him to keep his gun with him. Its a felony here in NY to have ANY firearm on ANY school campus, grade school or college.

4. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I was pretty sure you can buy insurance through the NRA.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

5. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If he's an NRA member he can sign-up for $2500 if free insurance - it's not automatic you need to sign up for it - but it is free.

You can also add additional insurance at the rate of 1.74% of the value of whatever firearm you want to insure.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting question. I lost my wetsuit and a pair of swim fins in college when I lived in the dorms. It SURE would hurt to lose a shotgun! Lots of people frequent college dorms and apartments...many of them are NOT students. Pretty good shopping for the criminal types as students tend to be very trusting. I wouldn't chance it.

7. John 53

John 53 Member

I would question whether Home Owners ins. would cover it at all, once it arrived. The reason is, he is not temporarily housing it there short term, but will be keeping it there while he gets his education. I would go with the renters insurance with a rider for the gun, if it were me.

IF it were me, I would NOT take an expensive gun and keep it around a college crowd to begin with.

John