1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Ford 6

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

To the best of my knowledge, Ford never made a "slant" 6. They did however make the 300cid which is one of the better engines Ford ever produced. They put them into F150's as late as 1996 if I recall correctly.

Chrysler was the manufacturer that built the slant 6.

ss

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On the 300 straight 6.. if you use early model 6 head with the screw in studs.. it runs alot faster.. and you'll never need to worry about a stud pulling loose.. On old Blue.. a 1976 E-350 I changed heads at 147,000 miles and it worked better and flawlessly till 350,000 miles when I sold it..

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Chrysler made slnt six ,ford flat

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

300 (4.9L)straight six was probably the best engine Ford ever made. Not too much went wrong with them unless the problem was brought on by neglect.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Herb,

Tell your son-in-law not to look for one in the snow/salt belt states. Those dudes rust at the mear mention of salt, just like the GM trucks of the same era.

ss

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Herb,

The Ford F150 or F250 in those years were a dime a dozen.Like mentioned that 300cid is a strong motor.You might have to look around some to find one with good sheet metal.

Sandy Holehouse.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

With oil changes that engine will easily make 250,000 miles. Lots of torque and with an overdrive transmission they get pretty good mileage too.

8. jim nikson

jim nikson TS Member

Owned a 1986 F150 with the 300 straight six in it. Sold it with 230,000 miles on it and it still did not use a oil with regular oil changes, head or pan never off only replaced power steering pump. Best engine Ford ever made. Probably the reason they quit making it.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

they also made the same engine with different displacement of 250 Cid. Different stroke I believe.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ford.. I think made a 240/250/300 The 300 came in a automobile version.. light rods and pistons.. and a HEAVY..long skirted version for the F-500 truck..and a few F-600.. which were used often in school busses.. It had globs of bottom end torque. While the gas mileage was not stullar..the crank was perfered because it was forged..and cross drilled.. It was rumored that the walls were thicker too.. Going to the early model head was the perfered head because it raised compression while leaving ample valve clearance.. Exhaust restriction was a must for both torque and gas mileage.. While headers increased horsepower.. it also vastly raised the rpm requirements for torque..

With the granny gear on a 4 speed.. the old mighty 300 was a stump puller..

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I would like to have a couple of good chevy inline 6's.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Its a STRAIGHT 6 that you are looking for. It is a great engine. Ford will regrete not making that engine one day. I had that engine in a 68 4wd F250, Mavrick, and a 84 f250 4wd.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Auctioneer.

Ford never put that motor (300cid) in a Mavrick to my knowledge.I think the 200cid was in that.GM made a good in line 6,that was a 292 cid.

Sandy Holehouse

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You could be right. I was a teenager when I had the car. All I remember it was a straight 6 and the other straight 6's that I had were in trucks that were 300's. The car got old and the three on the tree was giving me a big problem so I sold the car and let someone else worry about it.

15. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Auctioneer,

I could be wrong but the 300 was a light truck motor.Im not trying to contradict you.Just my guess.

Sandy.

16. Tron

The 300 was actually a Big block....never in the Mavrick. It was found in F and E series vehicles up to the "350" range. It was also (and still is) a very popular commercial engine that is often used by the UPS fleet (whoever makes their carriage now). To the best of my knowledge, it is still in production as strickly a commercial grade engine....but I've been out of the dealer biz for a couple of years now, so maybe it's been fazed out.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The 300 straight six was a good engine, but the design had some flaws. We used to cut and weld together some cleveland heads so we could get a crossflow type of arrangement. The intake and exhaust went in and out of the same side of the engine as designed. Changing the heads and a few other modifications would get these going real well. You'd be surprised at how nicely a six could run. In stock form, they were a surprisingly strong motor. It might be a real challenge to find a body/chassis in excellent condition these days. I believe the last model year that was offered with the i6/300 was 1996 when the new body style was introduced for the 1997 MY. The first year was around 1965 if memory serves me. As was mentioned before, you'd be well advised to look outside of the "Rust Belt". A good many of these rusted away before they stopped running.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a 97 E350 with that engine. It's an amazing thing. You turn on the key and wait a second for fuel pressure, and when you hit the starter it's so instand you almost can't hear the starter turn.

Not enough motor for that big truck, but its a work van so who cares?

HM

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

From what i remember the Ford 300 six was a strong truck engine but ate more gas than a 302 or 351 V8.

20. Tron

They were gas hogs. They had more torque than the 302, but ate more gas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.