1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED INFO ON BERETTA M92

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TRAINWRECK, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Looking to buy a Beretta 92 model and was wondering which is the best model (made in USA or Italy)to get. Looking for a good shooter that will function without repair or total cleaning after one day of shooting (100-200 rounds). Also what kind of the cheaper ammo will shoot good in the best model.

Thanks

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have something to say about Beretta 92,

I did many extended tests on service pistol reliability issue with all kids of ammo I can get my hands on.

Through out the years, I personally tested 6 Beretta 92, 2 Browning HP, Glock 17, 19, 21, 26, 2x HK P7M8, P7M13, Sig 220, 225, 2x226, 2x228, Walther P88, P99.

These expensive tests cost more on the ammo than the pistols I have. Most of my pistols failed at some point, mostly ammo related.

The most reliable pistols in my tests are Beretta 92s.

It feeds all the ammo I used, including a batch of factory seconds from one major manufactory that was labeled "Factory seconds, not for duty use". This is the ammo most of my test pistols failed to feed, including Glocks.

I shot extensively with 92s, finally I managed to jam it by shooting it side ways with limp wrist. Other than that, it has never failed me.

It's big for a 9 mm, but it's made to be a service pistol, it only holds 15+1, but I can live with it.

Now, to answer your questions,

There's very little difference between the Italian made and US made except the finish.

I'd stay with the standard 92FS, or 92G if you don't want to deal with the safety.

The best thing you can do to make sure it works well in the long run is lightly oil the locking block and slide rail.

The best cheap ammo is CCI Blazer. It's about the same price as E. European imports, but it's cleaner.

3. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Steve you stated this,
    "I'd stay with the standard 92FS, or 92G if you don't want to deal with safety"

What do you mean by safety?

4. Steve W

I should have said: Safety lever.

92G used by some European military has a strong safety return spring to keep safety lever up (off), it works as decocker only.

5. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Thanks Steve

6. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Couple 96 Centurian but no 92's. 96's work flawless. U sure
    got your money's work from Steve's evaluation - very good.

7. Steve W

Did you know you can load 15 rounds of 9x19 into a 11 round Beretta 96 magazine? And they feed just fine in the 92.

I tried them all, doesn't work in Glock mags, and not very reliable in others, only in Beretta.

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have never had an issue with the Beretta 92. Easy to clean after a day of shooting, very reliable. Try the Houge grip that wraps aroud the front of the grip and fits your fingers. Very appealing feel in your hand.

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The weak link in the design is the locking block. I've broken
    two in my pistol. They are three different variations. Make sure
    you get the latest one.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

They are not Camp Perry pistols, but for rugged utility use, they are very good. Mine has been clicking away since 1988.

11. Steve W

Regarding the owner changeable $49.95 locking block, Beretta modified it with a small relief cut on each side of it, if you keep just a little oil on it, it'll last a very long time.

I have an old 92F that was a LE surplus, God knows how many rounds it had before I got it, it has the original 1st generation block in it, I put approx. 9,000 rounds through it as a loaner gun to all my shooting friends that don't have a 92. No problem yet. (Knock on wood)

I bought two spare blocks at $49.95 each just in case one of my six 92s ever needed it. But so far, they are still in the box.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Currious question "they are not "Camp Perry" guns. What does that mean? I seem to see a lot of AMU and Marine pistol shooters as well as skilled civilians scoring pretty darn high scores with them.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

You might want to also look at the M92A1. It has a built in recoil buffer. Also a removable front sight and a tactical rail. It also holds 17+1. The recoil spring and guide are one piece as well.

14. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I carried a 92f for a couple of years and found it flawless. Easy to shoot and absolutely dependable. I switched to the 8040 because I wanted the .40 cal and never looked back. I have carried the 8040 for 15 years with no problems. The twisting barrel reduces recoil and the grip fits my hand like a glove.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.