Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Info on an Antique Primer Box

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  grntitan 
#1 ·
Scrounged this little metal box at my moms house today. I was wondering what you guys may know about it. The only info i came up with, was the same company made blasting caps. The other thing i learned from Google Search was they also had an identical box except it was "Gold Metal Primers". Its a neat little metal box for my collection. I just think this stuff is cool and gets me interested in learning about the old days . Thanks --Matt

Lid or top of box.....

Wood

Bottom of box.......

Shotgun Wood

Unfortunately empty......

Floor Footwear Wood Leg Shoe

See less See more
#5 ·
TOOLMAKER--Thanks alot for the info. I was kinda leaning towards blasting components rather than shell primers because everything i was able to find referred to blasting. When you say collector value, what range are we talking about? You may PM me if so choose. Thanks again--Matt

#6 ·
Toolmaker, as a former bomb tech, with all my fingers still intact, I can tell you that those copper blasting caps in your posted photo are extremely dangerous. The explosive was protected by a thin layer of clay when manufactured. Over the years the clay reacted with the copper and in turn the sensitivity of the explosive material was increased. A few years ago one bomb tech was killed and another badly injured by this type. They can easily detonate by dropping or even tumbling around in the container. Just a word of caution. I love the box though. Steve j

#7 ·
Thanks Steve for the information, I was aware of the deterioration break down. These caps are still active and will make a mess of a empty soda can. The one box on the left is "the Atlas blasting Co." the one on the right is from " the Atlantic dynamite Co." They were my grand fathers (born in 1874) and after he died I found them in a shed behind the house around 1970. They date to around 1900. Matt, that tin you have would sell for more then $50. do a search on ebay under blasting cap.

#8 ·
TOOLMAKER--I didn't find any just like it but plenty of similar items to get an idea. I was thinking a $10 item if lucky. I think your right though. If a collector really wants/needs it it could easily sell for $50. I doubt i'd sell it unless somebody got stupid with their offer. I didn't grab it for its value. I was more into the cool factor of it. {:0)

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.