1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info On American Select Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1881home, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about American Select powder? Thinking of trying it in AA, and Federal plastic hulls. Would like to hear of your experiences and your choice loading recipies for both 16's and caps. Thanks in advance, for your input.

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I gave it a try about three years ago because it was advertised as "ultra clean". I used all four pounds and went back to Clays.

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

My favorite powder,
    Very clean,which i like in my 391,
    excellent burn rate,
    great patterns,i even use it with 1 1/16 oz #71/2's
    for annies,just smokes em to 2nd gun,and breaks em as far as i can hit em.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I have used Am Sel for about 3 years with great results with 18.2 grains in Rem hulls with DR XL1 wads. It is not as clean as Clay dot or Clays, but much cleaner than some other powders. Patterns and results on the range were very good. I also used old AA hulls with the same results.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I tried one keg. It is NOT an "ultra clean" powder.

6. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Thanks guy's, but does anyones have any experience loading it in Federal Gold Medal hulls, or Federal Top Gun Hulls? Sure would appreciate any info you care to share.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Everyone likes something new and improved.. I can't see where it is any better or worse than Green Dot.. Very similar burn rate.. and the new Green Dot is every bit as clean..

8. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

Noodle - I like it and use 20.5 gr AmSel, Fed 209A, 12S0/12S3 clone, 1 oz shot in Fed Papers in a Rem 3200 and Beretta 391. Check Alliant's web site for other loads. Burns clean for me.....

Milt

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have been using it for years. It is extremely clean, as long as you keep the pressures up. I load STS and Gold Medal hulls. I use Fed209A primers in the GM hulls and there is never a problem. If I use STS209 primers in the STS hulls for slow (1150fps) loads, I get a little bit of smoke and soot when it's cold. Changing to a W209 primer (following load data) cures that.

I like the powder. It is cleaner than any of the Dots, and certainly cleaner than Clays. It is a consistent performer, and that's why I use it. Try some, you have nothing to loose.

10. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Mudbug and zzt, thanks for your input. Those Federal paper loads must be real soft! I'll try some of those too, since I have quite a few once fired papers just sitting here. Thanks again!

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

What zzt said, JRM

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used it for many years. I can't find another powder I like as well for singles and doubles.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.