1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on a DPMS AR rifle in 308

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TRAINWRECK, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

I have been looking at some DPMS AP4 and 10 in 308. My questions is are these good shooter, any know problems and what is the best barrel lenght an twist?

Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Depending on what you're looking for, the base model Oracle/Sportacle are good shooters. The have 1 in 10 twist barrels and shoot the 168gr bullets well. If you are looking at something that is more like a benchrest gun with a floated barrel the S.A.S.S. will be more to your liking.

The Rock River LAR 8 is also a good shooter and worthy of looking into.

ss

3. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Thanks.

I am looking at Panther models with 16" bar 1 in 10 twist. I will be deer hunting with the gun but would like for it to drive tacks.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

A one in 10 twist barrel will shoot anything that is commonly found in .308, including the 175 gr long range ammo. My opinion is that if you are upgradinging to a 30 caliber rifle, get all the barrel that you can. Those short barrel AR's are great for close quarters combat, but if you are going to shoot ammo that can reach out effectively, why handicap it in a short barrel rifle. If you consider 300-400 yards long range shooting, the stubby barrel is ok, but to reliably stay supersonic past 900 yards you need that extra velocity that the long barrel gives. My PALMA rifle wore barrels around 30 inches.

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

TrainWreck
    I have what you are talking about.. It will drive tacks! I love it !!! I also Agree with Leo and short shucker.

WesleyB

6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We have this one at the Silver Dollar with the case. $1325.00 Fired less than 20 rounds or we have an FNH FNAR in .308 for $1550.00 Photos available.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

View attachment 226238

My son ordered a Rock River Arms LAR-8 .308 in the Predator HP fixed stock configuration, as seen in the photo. He paid $1285 for it. That's probably the lowest price these can be found for. This is one of the most accurate versions made, especially in its weight class. It also uses FAL magazines.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you plan to shoot one of these long range, the only manufacture that I know of that guarantees their published accuracy claims is Rock River. This one will group them less then 1" at 100, RR advertises 1" in 100 yard accuracy. This is a LAR-8 26" barrel varmint with a Burris mildot tactical and it loves 168-175 smk's and Varget powder.
    toolmaker251_2008_030355.jpg

9. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Wesley
    What is the specs on your gun? What type of ammo does it like the best?

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

16" barrels are typically not the best for extended range accuracy. I would go with the longest heaviest barrel you can get. Notice "Brian in Oregon" and "TOOLMAKERS" guns are 20" and 26" HBAR(heavy barreled) rifles. If given the choice, i also would go with the Rock River Arms. You gotta trust a company that guarantees MOA accuracy at 100yds. "Guaranteed" accuracy is saying alot in my eyes.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The new .300 blackout seems interesting. Not in the the same league as the .308 but still a .30 cal.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sean in Oregon looked hard at the 26" heavy varmint barrel model Toolmaker posted, but at 11.6 lbs without optics it's really a position rifle, not a carry rifle. That's why he chose the Predator HP, which weighs 8.6 lbs.

It would be awesome, though, if RRA were to offer a 26" HB upper in .243 Win. What a great long range varmint gun that would make.

As for me, if I were to go with an AR in 308, it would probably be the 20" RRA Predator HP, mainly because it is optics friendly. Right now I'm happy with my FN FAL, but they are not exactly optics friendly. They can be modified for optics, but have almost no cheek weld.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Matt, the one drawback to the long heavy barrel guns is the weight. The gun in the picture weights more then 13 lb. the way it sits, I wouldn't think of ever lugging this thing in the field. I have a few other 7.62 gas guns besides this one and if I had to choose to carry one it would be my DS Arms Paracongo that weights in at 10 lb. with a 2-7 scope, a good 1 3/8" MOA gun that I personally think is more reliable then the gas tube vs the operating rod guns. TRAINWRECK, don't rule out a Armalite AR-10 these rifles are accurate and function well.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

TOOLMAKER,

That is a hunk to lug around. I don't have a .308 caliber AR only 5.56 and none with HBAR, all 16" barrels. I do have a gun to relate weight wise as my H&R Ultra Slug hunter slug gun weighs just a hair over 10lbs with scope. It's certainly not your spot and stalk gun. It has the heavy 10ga barrel blank bored for 12ga which makes it quite accurate. I shot this 4 shot group with it Friday getting ready for IL Whitetail season using Hornady 300gr SST Sabot slugs from a bench of course. It measures right at 1 1/4" at 100 yds. Not great but it's a shotgun. LOL

grntitan_2009_250374.jpg

grntitan_2009_250378.jpg

But that's another subject....................

15. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

TrainWreck
    It is DPMS Panther 18 inch bull barrel with free floating forearm. Shoot Remington and German NATO rounds.
    Email if you want and I will send u my number if you want to talk.

16. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Matt, too bad the possum cops in Il. won't let you hunt with a rifle. I have a custom AR in 5.56 with a 24" fluted barrel that does an honest .5" at 100 yards.......it's my doe and hog gun. Has a 4-16 mildot scope on it and the whole rig weighs 13 lb. Not much for carryin'....I just keep it in the corner of the blind for head shots on targets of opportunity.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.