1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need info for right-eye dominant shooter problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RED Z06, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

We have a friend who is a right-handed shooter and right-eye dominant that's losing his eye-sight in his right eye; his left eye is fine. Anyone who has dealt with this issue please PM me and let me know what options he has. Most of his shooting is recreational these days, but we don't want him to give up shooting all together.

Thank you,

Pat Maurice

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Pat,

I shot with the Paralyzed Veterans this year and one of the shooters was blind in his right eye, and shot right handed. He had a second bead hanging out there to the left of the bead on his rib and he could hit targets. He had trouble with right handers, so I think he needed a second bead back a ways, maybe all the way back so he could bet better feedback. I've seen where guys will mount a whole second rib out there for the left eye to use, but I wonder if that's overkill. One of the other shooters had custom made the bead setup. It was mounted through the holes in the rib.

Good luck.

Joe

3. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

I've been away from my computer most of the weekend. Thanks Joe. Anyone here had any experience with custom offset ribs designed to shoot with the left eye? I've seen a couple of these set-ups on here in the past, but couldn't find the threads with the "search" function.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Pat

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I was forced to switch from right shoulder to left due to a shoulder replac ement. Right eye dominate.I ended up painting the upper portion of my right lens so as to eliminate being able to see the target or the barrel when I fire. Took some getting used to but it works for me. Tried using dots and tape but if I saw either the target or the barrel, the right eye took over.

Good luck,

Big Jack

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The gentleman should take a look at a crossover stock. The old Wenig amongst others at one time made these.

Also Susan Nattrass's dad Floyd made what hecalled a Nattrass Supet Sighter that may help if one can be located.

Just options.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Our MSSA (State Assn.) Secretary Joanna Hughes shoots with an optical device off-set from the receiver due to poor/minimal eyesight in the near eye. Her contact info is on the MSSA site posted.

She may be able to help with her advice and experience.

Guy Babin

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Don Carey Side Sighter is made for people who have lost vision in their on shoulder eye. The Nattrass Super Sighter is basically an elevated front bead and will not help for this problem.

8. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks everyone.

Pat

9. 8point

8point Member

Chris Vendel from CRV in rochester N.Y. makes crossover stocks.His number is 585-330-8161. Tell him Rooster told you about him.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Thanks mike
    I knew someone did but Floyd was all that entered my weak mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.