1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Info about Sales to Californica

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a need to know If I am selling a shotgun to a California resident...can a Cali dealer only accept a gun for transfer from another FFL dealer? or can i send them the gun directly to process the xfer(me being a non dealer)...any info from you Cali guys out there would be helpful as I don't want to be on the wrong side of the Governator..If so ..is this a state law or just a paranoid dealer personal rule?

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As I understand it, a Calif. dealer can only accept a gun from another FFL dealer from out of state. Fred

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My personal experience has been that a private party may send a gun to an FFL. The FFL completes the paperwork, holds the gun and in the case of a long gun files the paperwork on site. I have done such a transaction within the past 6 months.

JON

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I believe the California FFL MAY legally accept a gun from an individual but some FFL's will, by their own choice, only accept guns from an FFL. You should talk to the FFL you intend to use first.

5. dflo

dflo Member

Shipped one a few weeks ago to Cali from VA. It had to go FFL to FFL the sending FFL has to be registered with CA to ship the gun. CA will issue a shipping number to the sending FFL so everything is on the up and up.

Dale

6. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Bought a gun off a member here on trapshooters in North Carolina, had him call my FFL here in calif. My FFL explained what he needed and he boxed it and sent it Fedex from his house. Call the reciving FFL and he will tell you what he needs. The seller told me it was simple to send a shotgun to CA. no real hassles.

Jack

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I am in California and I have bought MANY firearms.

If the FFL in California will accept a firearm from a "private party" then it IS LEGAL to do so and it is entirely HIS/HER choice as to which method they prefer. Some FFL's in California CHOOSE to only accept a firearm from another FFL.

The best thing to do is CALL the FFL that is accepting the firearm and speak with him BEFORE sending the firearm.

8. CalvinMD

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the FFL my buyer is using doesn't make it a PITA requiring I send through one...just another way to make us empty our wallets or switch hobbies

9. DKP

DKP TS Member

I manage a gun store in Ca. and a private party CAN ship a long gun to a dealer in Ca. as long as the dealer will accept the transfer from a private party.If you have any questions on Ca. gun laws send me an email and I can answer them or at least find out the answer.

Davey

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

By law, CA FFL can accept long gun shipped directly from an out of state individual. Hand gun must be FFL/FFL.

Some CA FFL chose to do FFL/FFL only to avoid receiving stolen guns, some require sender to send from his home (FedEx or UPS pick up) to make sure seller is willing to make himself & address showing on the shipping record.

Talk to your receiving FFL in CA (he has to send you his FFL copy).

11. CalvinMD

Thanks guys...all of your info was helpful,..very helpful...the dealer my buyer is using will donly do dealer to dealer but I think i have things arranged to go fairly smooth if they follow the plan...y'all are awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.