1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need ideas on walk-in gun vault

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi guys:
    Looking to pick your brains on building a new walk-in gun vault. I'm 95% sure that I'll be building a new house come spring and would like to figure in a vault. It would be in the basement. Thinking I would pour the walls when they pour the foundation. Vault doors are easy to get. What about lighting, dehumidfying, electrical, and how do you pour a concrete ceiling? Thanks, Dave T.

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

I would have the walls made out of block and filled with concrete. Buy a safe door from Browning.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Leave conduit on top of the walls when you poor the ceiling - you can juncture box what you need from that for power

I had a gun room under the porch in a couple of places

One thing I will say- any place can be broken into but concrete with rebar is going to make it take quite awhile

Drainage- you could leave a drain but frankly it doesnt or didnt seem to be that much of a problem and if it was- a small dehumidifier would cure that-- you could empty it or leave a drain when you poured the floor

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hi Dave:

I did the same thing about two years ago. I had the foundation people do the concrete ceiling and everything worked out just fine.

As far as electrical, I put in 36" high cabinets along one wall and put the outlets above them for easy access plus outlets every 10' on the other walls. Lighting is flourescent (for brightness) and the walls are insulated, sheetrocked and finished like everything else.

I have central heating and installed a heat/cooling vent in the ceiling WITH a return air vent but have it closed off as the temp remains very constant. Humidity is not a problem in my part of the country but I would think if you have air movement, you should be OK.

The vault was one of the best things I ever did when building the house - good luck with your project.

Eric

5. magic

magic Member

You might check with local safe companies. When I did mine I was able to purchase a used Debold Bank Door for a grand. Made much better and much more servicable and reliable than the welded up non commercial types (browning). Remember these doors are made to protect money and lots of it while being opened and closed daily. So I will never wear mine out. I feel better about it after reading horror stories about browning and other gun type vault doors. Can you imagine not being able to get into your impenatrible room???

JASON

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My vault at the shop is 11ft x 11ft. I went with the 12" blocks, roded the cores and then filled them. The walls are 9ft. Just before I poured the cores, I chiseled in 5 I-beams on the top of two walls to support the ceiling.

Leaving the re-rod three inches longer out the top of the walls they were also bent at about 45ish degrees for the ceiling to anchor to. I then screw with self-tappers, 3/4 inch treat plywood to the beams.

I then took 3x3 angle iron, cut and welded it into a large square to sit on the wall to contain the concrete I would....1/2 bucket at a time, carry up a ladder and pour for the ceiling. I did use duct tape to seal all of the seams.

My suggestion is to get the valt door first, to be darn sure the dimensions are correct for the opening. They may vary.

I had never before layed a block in my life, but the diagonal measurement once completed was off 1/4". The door opening gave me 1/8" of play for the vault door.

In the center of the ceiling, I supported a piece of schedule 80 pvc, before pouring, to run the wire down for lights.

The vault sits within the shop so no insulation was neccessary. But for under ground use, I would go with the insulated forms and pour it.

Doug Braker

7. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jason brings up a good point. I found my vault door at a business specializing in demolishing buildings and recycling good building materials. My door is a Diebold and weighs about 600 lbs not including the door frame - and it was about the same money as buying a new "vault" door from a gun safe company - but much better quality.

Eric

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Contact any local bank vault company and ask them ... tell them the size you want and they will give you a price and tell you what needs to be done to prepare for them to install.

If your planning on doing this all yourself just try to think of the difficulties in getting a vault door into your basement and installing it yourself.

There is a reason why some companies are in business and this is one of those reasons. Also contact your insurance agent and pick his brain about a vault. You could also look up on the internet "safe rooms" and see what pops up. Many safe rooms can be built as strong as a vault and are much easier and much cheaper to build.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Smith Security Safe Inc. in Tontagany, Oh near Toledo will build you just about any vault door size you would want he advertises in Gun Digest the magazine. His number is 1-800-521-0335. His ad says he will be at the shot show, booth 2411. Bill

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Bill ... why not just post there website address as well?

http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dehumidfying a walk in vault

gun vault ideas

walk in gun vault ideas