1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@@ NEED HOME DEFENSE SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mainly for my brother but I wouldn't mind having some project gun for the same purpose. Brother wants an autolader; 1100/SX-1 or whatever, maybe field grade that can be shortened, good mechanical but can be ugly as heck. I'm real familiar with and partial to the SX-1 but wouldn't turn down a suitable 870 or similar. Obiously prefer bargain.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When your life is on the line a pump is more trustworthy than an auto.

1/2 of 1 % or less failure rate could be your turn in the barrel.

My 1100 never fails me but If I had an under the bed gun it would be a pump.

HM

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have an under the pillow gun, .380 Double action auto

4. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Bob,

I looked at both the 870 and Mossberg defense models, and bought the Mossberg 590. I think it was around $300 on sale at Big Five.

The safety and bolt release can both be worked without taking your hand off the grip. Easy to use in the dark, and holds 8 rounds.

Got to agree with halfmile, wouldn't use an auto for defense.

Jim

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Winchester Defender

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Guess I'm not too clear here, looking for some project gun(s) that are sound in mechanics but can be ugly as a trap shooter (ha ha). I'm quite aware of the factory stuff and preference to the pumps but the brother wants the auto for his own reasons. I'd favor a toss-away SX-1 skeet or field to take the hack saw to or of course the 870. Any junkers out there?.....Bob Dodd

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Go to a gunshop that deals in used guns, find an old beater High Standard with the "Dial-A-Duck" choke tube/muzzle brake, hacksaw it off (but not under 18") and you have a tough, rugged, reliable and dirt cheap home defense shotgun. I did this many years ago as my first home defense shotgun. Wish I still had it.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

After Feb. you may not have a use for that super reliable mega bucks trapgun. Might as well saw it off now----LOL.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Brian, Yeah, that approach has crossed our minds as well, of course, but just thought I'd toss it out yesterday evening before the sun rose and stores opened. Might at well make some TS.C buddy happy too.

shadow, now that is funny - Let's see, got the vice and hack saw - sure!

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The A-5 Brownings work well with a short tube. You can probably find a dinged up one for about the same money as a new cheapie pump gun. That and a hacksaw and half a yard stick will get you a reliable semiauto house sweeper.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- Are you looking for one with a pull or release trigger?

Pat Ireland

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've seen what look like hardly used or never used Mossberg pump guns in pawnshops for well under $200.00. Heck, a pawn shop might throw in masking tape, a hacksaw, and a tapemeasure. Good luck!

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Years ago bought an 870 express for $125 in a pawn shop, added an eight shot magazine extension for $25, and a Pachmayr grip and forend for another 20 or so (gun show stuff), put on a 21" barrel and have a pretty formidable little beast.

I was going to ask if you all preferred 7 1/2's or 8's, but I like OO's.

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

In any actual shooting situation there is one thing you can bet the farm on. The accompanying addrenaline rush is going to insure that your motor skills, the very ones used to shuck that pump, are going to go bye-bye. You will be reduced to a shaking bag of bones before it is over. It is real easy to short shuck a pump. I would far rather depend on a known to operate with chosen ammo auto in a fight for my life than a pump I have to manipulate perfectly. I'd bet an inertia operated auto would make a very good defense gun. I don't believe in "racking in a round" to notify the perp that I am there and armed. I want their first notification of my presemce to be the blinding light of my magazine mounted combat light, and if they can see anything, the muzzle staring them straight in the face.

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Everything wireguy said. My behind the bedroom door gun is a short barreled 1100. It's a gas gun, but it was a dependable field gun before it got drafted for home defense duty. I pray I'll never need to use it for it's intended purpose.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat, definitely a pull trigger; I'll let the court (or hospital) do the release part.

Stan the Savage, might have some nasty 7 1/2s to start but later rounds would be increasingly nastier.

Sir Wire, I've been in some spots of which you speak and I usually manage to do well until it's over. But that was back in the other century too. Then, with my masterful use of the English language, I might never need to use the smoke pole any more than I have for the past 68 years.

Bob Dodd

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pat, quote: <i>"Keep in mind that Randy Weaver's trouble all started with a shotgun that was a tad under 18", if you cut off the barrel, make it long enough so there is no mistaking it when some good ole boy slaps a Lufkin red end on the barrel to check it out."</i><br>
    <br>
    America, the only country that kills women holding loaded babies because their husbands can't measure right.

18. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

If you have to defend yourself in your own home with deadly force, use deadly force. You never, ever, want to see the perp slouched in a wheel chair looking at you in a court room. You might just get the wrong kind of jury, criminal or civil. It is also good if you don't put a round through your neigbors bed room window. Copper plated 6's is what I would use. Ex legal eagle. I hope no one ever has to face this decision. gyrine

19. mj19

mj19 TS Member

1100 rem, 18" barrel,open choke, extented mag, 8 shot.
    mjm

20. jhoward

jhoward Member

I understand budget constraints, but from a liability standpoint I'd suggest getting a short factory barrel and not cutting it down yourself. The last thing you'd want is some assist DA standing before a jury pointing out how you modified your weapon to make it "more deadly". Older, smoothbore slug barrels are pretty cheap these days as everyone wants rifled barrels or at least rifled choke tubes. It also eliminates any mis-measuring of the barrel when cutting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.