1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Wills, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Wills

Jon Wills TS Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I am new to trap and I just joined ata. I have hunting shotguns but I am looking for a trap gun. I want a gun to shoot trap and the occasional dove. Is 28" barrel too short. I know I want a over under. Any help on barrel length or a good gun that isn't 10k as I am new to this
  2. dave-320c

dave-320c Active Member

Jul 26, 2007
    buy a beretta 390 auto (or a 391) with a 28 or 30" barrel.
    I shoot these as well as a Krieghoff.
    Best of luck.
  3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Economy: An autoloader will permit you to shoot or at least try any clay target game out there. A relatively inexpensive single barrel, single shot will only permit shooting singles and handicap. Trust me, you well eventually want to take a swipe at one or more of the "other games" and will need something that holds at least two shells.

Step up: The over/under. Inexpensive but sound O/Us will take you to used Brownings, Remingtons, or Berettas at least around $1000. Otherwise the top price is the limit in O/Us.

Money no consideration: The typical mantra would have you looking for a combination set; a single barrel and and over/under with just one receiver and butt stock and barrels are exchanged depending on the game being shot. However one single barrel and another O/U is just as popular in the real world - two guns.

Hunting/trap: This is always a sort of conundrum. If it does one venue well it rarely works as well at the other. So buy what will satisfy you most of the time and either understand the other will suffer or, again, have two guns.

Barrel length: 30" barrels are normal as a minimum on the trap field and are found more and more on the skeet and sporting fields. But I've seen a lot of folks shooting socially, read not all that serious, that shoot shorter barrels with field guns and still have a smile on their face.

My advice: Look at 30" autos or affordable Over/Unders. Try as many as you can get permission to handle and shoot and one will stand out for you.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd
  4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Jon Wills- Shoot your field gun at your local trap range and spread the word around that you are looking for a trap gun and give a price range. Soon, several guns will show up for you to try.

Shoot several of them and either buy the one you shoot the best or the one you like the best. When I bought my first trap gun, I got the one with the nicest wood even though I shot another gun a little better. That was not the only mistake I have made during my life, but it certainly was a mistake.

Pat Ireland
  5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    try try try. While I was saveing for my first "trap" gun, I shot every gun I could get my hands on.

I started with 870 exspress 28" Mod choke. I was able to win several league shoots with that gun working up to our clubs gold class.

I found I like 0/U very much. The Browning XTs felt right and came to my cheak/shoulder nice.

Difference right away 870 I felt as if I had to pass the barrel over the clay in trap shooting to get the target broken. The browning was slightly different.
    I then found I prefer a higher shooting gun.
    I now have a browning XT with a PFS stock so I can get the adjustments I need for a good fit. Have fun!!!

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    There are two many guns out there for anybody but you to make the choice. Used you would have a wide range of O/Us in all price ranges, make sure you have choke tubes for both barrels. Minimum 30" and you can use extended tubes for trap to get you another 1" if you feel you need it. To get an idea about price for the various guns go to a site like Jaquas.com and check out their inventory.

The most important thing is gun fit and how you shoot it, to me an adjustable comb is a must. Fit yourself for trap shooting and if the gun doesn't work for doves go buy a $600 gas gun for the doves.

Have fun you are starting down a road of many good experiences and friends.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Don has given you great advice.. For trap shooting you'll neeed a different POI once you get going..and the dynamics are totally different from a field gun. To get started a 870/1100 is as good as any.. BUT.. you'll quickly progress beyond it if it's a field set up. Might I suggest a good coach/stock fitter help you in your initial purchase. Nothing turns people away from this wonderful sport as quickly as missing targets. Now.. once a trapshooter..you'll join the ranks of all of us looking for the "magic" gun. Which translates into one that fits correctly..and breaks more targets..easier than the poorly fitting gun with the wrong dynamics. Until you fully understand stock fit and the dynamics of your style."which is not established yet..and will change as you progress" The best advice one can give..is Get a good coach.. All shotguns are a barrel..trigger.. and wood. Get a good trigger.. a straight shooting barrel with a POI to match your needs..and a stock that fits you perfectly. It really matters not which gun.. you'll be buying a new one next year anyway.. All Good Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.