1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jun 30, 2013.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need your help. I have a release trigger on my KS-5 Krieghoff. Last year I had a problem, (or so I thought), with the release "pulling through". I sent it back to Phil Crenwelge and he reset the trigger. All went well for probably 1000 rounds. Today, I entered into a tournament and when I pulled the trigger back to set the trigger it went off. Naturally I got nervous and it happened 3 times in a row. I then borrowed a Beretta with a release and the same thing happened!! I then borrowed a Kolar from a friend of mine that had a release. All went well for about 10 rounds and again the gun went off when I tried to set the trigger. I then realized it was not the gun but it was "me". I should add that I have a 682 Beretta that has a double release , (which I use for sporting clays), and I have never experienced this problem. I know it is something that I am doing wrong. (mentally??) I know that when this happens I then get very paranoid and insecure; as when I set the trigger and feel it just might go off. (And it does). This is driving me nuts. Anybody experienced this goofy problem? I am really ready to quit. It is embarrassing . Thanks for any help you can give me. Ed

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Years ago a friend let me try his gun. I shot the round and returned the gun.After thanking him,he asked me how I liked the release trigger! I never knew. The trick is to set it hard,just jerk it back I think you are going to slow and just pulling through.Also have the smith set the set and release pionts a little farther apart..Good luck with it.Ray

3. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Well, as you have already figured out, the problem is in the gray matter, not the gun. I can sympathize, as I have experienced this exact problem in reverse- No issues at trap, but pulling through on sporting clays.

I think the first thing you should try is changing where / when you set the trigger. If you are currently setting it after mounting the gun, try setting it just before mounting. Even a small change can make all the difference.

I have known a number of good shooters who set the trigger even before closing the gun.

I don't really think you will be able to "talk" yourself out of this as easily or as effectively as making a change in the mechanics of your mount.

Keep us posted.

Mike Humphrey

Logan, Ohio

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the input. Also, I had 2 private messages from fellow shooters that really helped. I now know it is me and not the gun. I am going to change the way I set the trigger and hopefully this will solve the problem. It is frustrating and embarrassing to say the least. Ed