1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Win Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al391claybuster, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Ok Folks, I've been bitten by the Model 12 bug. I want one, but how do I know how to tell if the asking price is within reason? I'm not looking for one to collect, but rather shoot. I'm not concerned if it's original or a build up. I would want a rib, and trap wood. I see them from $600 to $2200+. Is it like everything else, you get what you pay for? I don't have $$$$ to put out. Thanks David.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

David: There is nothing wrong with considering a "built up" Model 12. Most times they can be had much cheaper than an "original" trap. My first Model 12 was a built up. It was a very nice gun with decent wood, 30" full choke barrel with a Simmons rib. That gun really hit targets hard. I even shot doubles with it. It is very possible someone on this forum has what you are looking for. Good Luck in your search. Ed

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have found that a good Model 12 is worth its weight in gold, you can find them cheaper than that ... Expect to pay someplace between $800 and $1,200 for a really nice clean one from what I have seen ... I sold a few (5) not long ago and they sold so fast locally I never got a chance to list them on TS.Com ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

"Rays" has one for sale in the FS threads. $950.00

5. al391claybuster

Ok Folks, I seen a couple here and a few on other sites. What do I look for, and what do I want to avoid? How do I know if they're priced right, or over priced? Any help would be great. Thanks David

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Mail sent David on both model 12's

7. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

A Model 12 is a great gun and worth every penny your willing to spend. I just bought a (new to me) model 12 and I love it. People around my area are Model 12 crazy and I have seen them go any where from 750 to 1300 around here. It is just what the buyer is willing to pay, but a good model 12 will hold up better then alot of the most expensive guns out there. Tanner

8. al391claybuster

Thanks to the help....JimR made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Thanks David

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have owned dozens. If you don't know, on the receiver, on the left side of the rib, there will be a proof mark, a W in an oval. Winchester had 2 ribs, the Duck Bill ramp and the Winchester Special on which the rib did not get wider on the receiver. Many people assume that if the rib does not have the Duck Bill ramp, it is not an original, some Duck Bill ribbed guns will not have the proof mark, denoting them as "made up".

If you find a prospect, try and ensure the choke has not been removed. These are old guns and most were very tightly choked so many people had the choke opened. If you buy one and it needs new rings (a common occurance if it is shot much), Contact Stu Wright, Wrightchoke in Illinois. He bought all of Herb Orre's tools and is one of the best M12 people left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.