1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help with trap shooting in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capt kirk, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt kirk

capt kirk TS Member

Need the help of any Arkansas trap shooters on here. I am considering relocating to the Rogers Arkansas/beaver lake area. Was wondering if there are any clubs nearby that offer monthly registered shoots? Or is it going to take some driving to get registered shoots? thanks

2. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

There are several very close. Belle Vista Sportsman Club will be the closest in Arkansas. There some just over the MO. and OK. state lines to your north and west.

The next closest in Arkansas will just down the Interstate in Fort Smith and one over at Mountain Home between the lakes.

I believe we have 9 clubs in the state throwing ATA targets.

Ray

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Here's the link to our club in Mountain Home; be glad to have you visit anytime.
    John

www.twinlakesgunclub.com

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You have picked a very poor state if you like to trapshoot. I have lived in the Hot Springs area for 5 years. I have one club that is fairly close. Mountain Valley Sportsmans Association. I have tried in vane to get a league organized there. Impossible. All they want to do is shoot handguns, rifles or do the "Cowboy Action" bit. I lived in Wisconsin most of my life. There you have a "ton" of small clubs who are very active in trapshooting and sporting clays. They have many leagues and shoot a lot of ATA targets. Not so in Arkansas. You are somewhat fortunate to have close access to clubs in Missouri, where they are much more active when it comes to trapshooting. That being said you will still have to travel. I spend the summer months in Wisconsin and have at least 20 clubs within a 25 mile radius of my residence there! Ed

5. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

The previous poster is telling you the truth. The Bella Vista club is close to Rogers and is run by some really nice people. I haven't shot there in years as it is too far away for a 1 or 2 day shoot( 4 hours). Pajaro Gun Club in Ft. Smith is an easy one hour and fifteen minute drive from Rogers and is a nice facility. It is also run by very nice people. The Mtn. Home club is next and I have truthfully never been there. Arkansas is about as far away from a good place to shoot as you can get. I find myself lately traveling to bigger shoots in other states just to get all the shooting I want without all the driving back and forth for a one day shoot. I now drive an hour and 10 minutes to the Remington Gun Club at Lonoke just to practice and compete. I find there I can shoot long yard handicap with other shooters (vs solo practice) plus singles and doubles are always available.

From the Nortwest Arkansas area, the Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma shoots are probably easier to get to and offer you a better experience.

This of course is just my opinion and no harm is meant to the small local clubs. Arkansas is simply not a target rich environment.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Go to the "Tucker Time" Store in Rogers, look up Mike Tucker, he will point you to places to shoot, and maybe sell you a stove or something. Good guy.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

I hate to argue with the two Hot Springs shooters, but there's a major difference in what's available in their part of the state and the northern part of AR. I don't know how much distance you're used to traveling to shoot, but the number of states that have the access to shooting they have in WI or Pennsylvania appears to be few and far between. I'm sure the majority of ATA shooters have to travel for several hours to attend most shoots. The best all round trap facility in the world, Linn Creek, is 2 1/2 hours from my house.

I'm a refugee from CA and I checked out the Rogers area before I retired and moved to the Mountain Home area. Northwest AR has been the fastest growing and most ethnically diverse area of the state, and I had seen enough of that in CA. If you're moving for retirement, not work related, you should check out the MH area.
    Big lakes, cheap real estate and nice people. Our little trap club hosts 4 ATA shoots a year and throws around 250,000 trap birds a year with a two trap facility.
    Plus we shoot for $2.5o a round and annual dues are $65. And no, I don't work for the chamber of commerce!
    John

8. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I'll toss in my 2 cents on this one. We love to shoot at Twin Lakes, they treat us very well whenever we can make it down there.

I also hear good things about Bela Vista and plan on checking them out this season. We will have a few more open dates since Dee and Perry retired up at Sheldon.

Our own club has decided to hold a few ATA shoots this year, mostly for the local kids to get some registered targets for the AIM state shoot. Actually have one scheduled for this Saturday (22nd). Check the link above for the other dates which include the Trap and Sporting Clays portion of the Missouri Winter Games in March.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.