1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP WITH TRAP FIELD LIGHTING

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baxter, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baxter

Baxter TS Member

Can anyone help with recommendations for lighting a trap field. Lights-wattage-placement, that kind of stuff. We will be using 220-240 volts. Thanks for any help

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

This is what you need. We did the research and testing on many lights and these are by far the best available. Get the 1500's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whiz

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

This is what we use at Markham Park in S. Florida.

Eric

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We are in the process of updating our lighting and I have done some research into what we should do. I get consistant answers that we need 4 1500watt sports flood lights per field. They should be metal halide. We are using wood poles that will be 40 feet, which are taller than what we have now, and plan to mount four lights on each pole, one pole per field. We want to be able to throw orange targets under the lights, without switching to white targets at night.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Prior to these we'd been using 1500W Halogens, 4 per pole, two poles per trap.

I had one Hubbell mounted on each pole, disconnected the Halogens and when we hit the switch (running at 220V) these were so bright we wondered how we ever shot at night. One per trap was good, but with two, it was like daylight.

I think we set them almost level with the ground, maybe no more that 5-10ยบ downward. They take a second to warm up, but when they do, it becomes daylight almost.

We have one per pole with poles at the left and right of the 27 yard line. The spill-over lighting is so good that each trap on adjacent sides are well lit.

One of the old guys said, "Hey, let's turn on the halogens too." When we turned them on, they were so bad, they offered absolutely nothing.

I told them the halogens cost too much to operate compared to these Hubbells and the absolutely enormous light output. The halogens came down.

I sell these to gun clubs and cost + 10%, but there is territory protection, so it's difficult to sell outside of my area here in SD.

You should have an electrician who can get them wholesale for you. If you do, MAKE SURE you order them WITH BULBS, and not buy bulbs later. It gets too expensive doing it this way.
    WW

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As I said above we use the new green Musco lighting system on our six fields. The fields are combo trap/skeet. We have three poles (LCR) per field with a total of ten fixtures on each field in a 3-4-3 setup. We throw all orange targets all the time. When all six fields are on it's like daylight.

Eric

7. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

MUSCO all the way

www.musco.com

There are none better!!

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Your 40' poles are overkill. That said go ahead and use them but your mounting height for the fixtures should be 20-25' based on IES recommendations. At least that is what was recommended 10 years ago. If you are throwing registered targets under the lights you will need 4-1500watt Metal Halide fixtures or 6- 1000 Watt. High Pressure Sodium, although more efficient are less desirable due to color. The Metal Halide are bright white and the orange target glows under those lights. Go to your local electrical distributor and they should be able to give you a schematic that gives pole mounting locations, mounting heights, fixture type and wattage and the aiming angles. One last item, when I designed the lighting for the traps at our club I went with 6-1000 watt Metal halide because our maintenance program was pretty shaky so even if 1 or 2 of the lamps failed we still had more than adequate lighting for recreational shooting. And as stated above be sure to get the lamps and fixtures as a package to save money. JRM

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

We have 8 1500w MH on each field around 22 ft up the poles its brighter then the sun and orange targets glow. That many lights might be overkill but if a cpl blow we still have more then enough light.

10. Baxter

Baxter TS Member

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE JOB DONE AND SEE THE BIRDS AT NIGHT. BAXTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many lights on trap field

what wattage light for trap field