1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Storage War purchase of lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TCG, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TCG

TCG TS Member

The storage facility, where I have a storage unit, held a Storage War auction to recoup overdue unpaid fees.

I bid $75 and won a unit. When I cut the lock and opened it there were only 4 small pallets inside.

I opened the cardboard box on one of the pallets and it contained 40 bags like the one in the photo below.

Question #1 : I've never heard of Curry.

Question #2 : Is the shot too old to be used?

Question #3 : If I sell some of the bags what would be a fair price, since I only paid .47 cents a bag?

I hope the other 3 pallets aren't all size 7 1/2

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ill give you 5 bucks a bag and take all you have!!! That's a huge profit for you!!!! Where are you located and for the right price I will take it all!!!! Please PM me more info, I would be willing to give you a real offer on the lead if you are anywhere close to my location!

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

yes that would be a real shame if the other pallets were 7.5 ..good luck with your phising expidetion.

Jim

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If it isn't oxidized, you've pretty much hit the mother lode. If it is, you've hit the daughter lode. You could likely graphite-it up and sell it for chilled shot prices. Cut one open. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

You just won the lottery.

The shot is probably fine unless it got wet, and then might be only oxidized on the surface. Most people, in today's market, would be happy to pay you $25 per bag. I'd suggest maybe $3600 if they take the whole lot.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Worst case I'll bet you can get $10+ per bag from a scrap yard...

It's newer than the mid-60s. Certainly not too old to be used. If its a little dusty or oxidized, mix in a tiny bit of graphite, shake it around, and load it. Its higher quality than anything coming out of South America right now.

If you were to sell it, you should ask NO LESS than 75% of what new shot is selling for in your area, and even at that price, you are giving people the deal of a lifetime. If you were somewhat near western NY I'd be interested in some.

The sharks smell blood, and are circling...

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Talk about a big waste of your money. No wonder they abandoned that unit with a bunch of useless 7.5 shot. If you want, I can bring our large dump truck and I'll pick up all that junk and dispose of it for you. How's $25/bag sound? Cash

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It's quality shot. I still have some of the 5 and 6's and shoot them at games.

I actually think you're just bragging! :0)

Ajax

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

So they sold the unit without opening the door and letting the bidders take a look? That seems an odd way to do business for an auctioneer who gets a percentage of the sale.

Seems I have heard somewhere after they open the door:

"Remember you can look but you can't go inside or touch anything inside the unit."

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

First time poster, with a whale of a story. It must be fishing season. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Mark

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If not for the picture I would call BS

HM

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When they auction off the storage units they are not allowed to look at items only look from outside and bid to get their storage fees back for non-payment.

Have you not seen them on TV.

I would think 160 bags of shot at 1,000 pounds per 40 bag pallet be $4800.oo
    net cost, retail for $6240.00 at todays prices.

So if I bought the contents of that storage unit I would re-lease it until I had used or sold the shot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I did a google search and it shows this company made Lead Shot for trap and skeet shooters, shows a good address in Los Angeles, Ca

Makers of Hard Shot. Pardner you made a good buy.

You just turned $75.00 into a profit of $6,165 at todays price of lead @$39.00

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nice story.

Something seems a bit fishy though.

15. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

NICE CAST !

16. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

im in cinti. PM me if your close by. wanna see/buy your shot. there is shot in the bag correct?

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

ummmm...

[​IMG]

19. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A real trapshooter would have been out shooting trap instead of wasting time at an auction. At the very least he would have opened one of the bags. Abandoned Lead is a hazardous waste and needs to be handled by the professionals. don't touch it. I have a way of fixing it. Terry

20. TCG

TCG TS Member

I am new to trap shooting and even newer to reloading.

The storage facility, where I have a unit, knew I did something with shotguns. They thought, but weren't sure, that the pallets in the unpaid unit had something to do with shotguns.

They were nervous about handling lead.

They offered me the contents of the unit for the $75 due in unpaid fees.

I moved the pallets to my storage unit; but the Manager is still nervous because he had read in the newspaper that California has banned all lead. The company has a policy against storage of "hazardous" materials.

Some guys at the gun club suggested I donate it to the club?

Thanks, TCG

[​IMG]