1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with "Shoot-offs" when shooting games

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Hank55, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank55

Hank55 Member

I just can't seem to get the right chemistry in a shoot-off when we shoot games. I normally shoot 1 1/8 oz loads of #8's or 7 1/2's at 1145 fps to get to the shoot-off, then I switch to 1 1/4 of #7's or #6's at 1300 fps for the shoot-off. Normally, we stand about 37 yds back (I stepped it off to be about 10 yds behind the 27 yd mark), I don't know if I'm under the birds or over them at that range? I'm just not very consistent from back there and I'm not sure what the problem is. Any helpful suggestions??

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Need help with

Hi
    If you are shooting at a falling target, make sure to shoot under it of course. Trapguns shoot high we all know, and when the bird is falling, it's a double handicap on hitting it. You could be lifting your head to "want to see it break" also. Keep a conscious effort to stay under it and keep your head down.

3. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Need help with

The further you go back the further you have to lead them. Most of the time they have the machine cranked up throwing faster and higher than a ATA target. When you pull the trigger your shot is moving at your design load speed but the further it travels the slower it is getting due to the air hitting the shot. This happens at a very fast rate. Your lead becomes compounded for this and for the extra distance it has to travel. Not only do you have to lead the target for the left right angles but also for the rise and then the drop after the target reaches its peak. Shoot where the target is going to be not where it is at. When you throw a football to a receiver, you throw it in front of the receiver not to him. Same thing here. A shotgun is not a fast shooting gun. You can buy a BB gun at Walmart that shoots the same speed as your shotgun. IMHO, when you aren't hitting them from the back line it is more than likely due to not giving them enough. But those games are more fun then shooting anything else!

Dwayne

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Need help with

Your ammo could be a problem - touching off a hunting load is alot different than your regular trap load. You may be doing all kinds of bad things like flinching or lifting your head .... Try using your regular ammo, believe it or not those shells will break targets way out there.

One other thing that helps me is to start the gun very low and swing agressively on the target. (helps get the POI up there)

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Need help with

Shoot what got you to the shoot off. Don't be changing ammo. HMB

6. BT99

BT99 Member

Need help with

Before you call for the target, adjust yur glasses and say to yourself,
    "that trap can't throw a target I can't break". Things will work out after
    that.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Need help with

Dropping birds at trap are very hard targets. Do you, or have you shot skeet?

A fifty yard shot at trap, that is falling, reminds me of a high house 4, get your gun about 4" in front of the bird, and keep moving.

Wayne

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Need help with

The farther out a target is the slower it appears to be moving. On a way far out there target it isn't enough to have your gun pointed at the right spot. You must have it pointed at the right spot moving at the right speed. Because the way far out there targets appear slower than close up ones it is very easy to stop moving your gun with authority. Not having your gun speed up appropriate with the actual speed of the target will put you behind even when the gun is pointed at the "right" spot. Make sure your gun speed is appropriate to the target speed.

9. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Need help with

Try 1-1/8 oz 7-1/2s 1300 fps with a full choke. Do not over lead .... as the angles from 37 are very slight. Think smooth and FOLLOW THRU!

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Need help with

I agree with don't change what got you there.

First,in your mind you've already decided to lead the bird more,then you change your load which changes the lead you need.Trust your mind that with your original load,you already calculated the proper lead you need..

Doug H.

11. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Need help with

A standard trap load will do what you need,

You are complicating it by switching up to a shoulder slammer,

Shoot where the bird will be, takes a bit of practice,

watch the video

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.