1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Reloading Federal GM Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SteveO2, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveO2

SteveO2 TS Member

Good Day,

I was wondering if you could give me some advise with reloading Federal Gold Medal Shells. For the most part, I have been reloading Win AA's and Remington STS with no issues. But my first go around with Federal Gold Medals has given me some problems. I am reloading on a Mec 9000. These are 12 GA shells, with a recepie from Alliants web page as follows:

1 Fed Gold Medal Hull
    1 Fed 209 A
    1 1/8 OZ #8 magnum shot
    17 Grains E3 Powder
    1 Fed 12S3 Wad

Wad pressure indicator only blips on down stroke when setting wad

The crimps are good but severley dished in the center. Any suggestions to correct this? Bulkier Powder or Different Wad? Machine settings?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Your two choices that are the most relative are to switch wads (ie 12SO) or a bulky powder.

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Ditto.
    Don

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

As stated above, use a 1oz. wad with 17 grains of E3. Wayne

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Weigh your shot drop, it might be light causing the dished crimp. If it is open up the shot bushing and the dished in crimp will go away. HMB

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the dishing is only moderate a crimp adjustment might alleviate the problem.

If there is a hole in the center of the crimp a cam adjustment will close the hole, and also use more plastic. You should lower the crimping punch a turn or so, then adjust the cam.

The crimp starter should leave a hole only the size of a lead pencil in the center of the cone formed.

If the shot is 7/16 to a half inch below the mouth of the hull no wad substitution is really necessary.

HM

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

SteveO2, pheasantmaster and rennerize gave you the two best solutions to your problem. I tried the exact recipe you list and had exactly the same problem. I'm not willing to adjust my crimping dies, because they are set to load a variety of hulls/loads as they are.

I solved the problem by going to a bulkier powder- Green Dot. The 12S0 wad will work, but the shot cup only holds 7/8 oz. During setback, it will probably shield a full ounce, but that leaves 1/8 oz of shot unprotected by the wad petals. That is how most European shells are loaded. If that bothers you, use a bulkier powder. If not, try the 12S0.

Added later: By happenstance, I have just been assembling 1 oz loads using the same components (GM plastic hull, F209A primer, 17gr e3, 12S0 wad, 1 oz hard shot). I went down and increased the shot charge to 1 1/8 oz, leaving everything else the same. Crimps were perfect, and indistinguishable from the crimps on the 1 oz loads.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Lay a cherio on top before you crimp (if you want to put one in individually and not change anything). Otherwise I would try the 12S0 wad like pheasantmaster and renerize suggested. The cherio is a bit time consuming, but it works, and you can snack on them while you reload. John E.

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Adjust your crimp, or use Green Dot.

I usually use e3 in AAs and STS and Green Dot in GMs.

Cubancigar doesn't know what he's talking about. You'll be hard pressed to find a better powder than e3 for 7/8oz, 1 oz, and light 1 1/8 oz loads.

~Michael

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I use 19 of PB & S-3 for 1 1/8oz & 19 PB & SO for 1oz & get perfect crimps using an old MEC Hustler Hydromatic. That powder charge equates to about a 31 bushing. Work toward a powder that needs that bushing. You also will have to adjust your dies when going from the AA/STS to the GM. I have to do so each time I switch.

11. shootman

shootman TS Member

I load on a 9000g and have used the same two loads for acouple of years now and i love them. #1 is fiochi primer, 20gr. of solo 1000,12s3 downrange wad,1 1/8 of 7 1/2. The other is fiochi primer, 18.5 solo 1000,12so claybuster wad,1oz.#8. They both crimp good. I use the 1oz. for singles and the 1 1/8 on the 25.They are both good clean loads. BOB

12. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls have a larger internal capacity than Rem STS. That's why they dish compared to STS with the same internal components. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.