1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with reloading AA and STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by corkcan, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corkcan

corkcan TS Member

I have just recently got back into reloading after a long lay off and am having trouble with AA 12 ga. reloads. I am using a brand new mec 600 jr. AA once fires, red dot, and claybuster wads. The first bunch i reloaded did not look to bad except for the occasional ring around the center of the finished round and the uneveness on the top of the crimp. I tryed adjusting the finish crimp, it did not seem to help much. I have been pleased with the way they have performed so far. The second batch everything the same except i swithed to claybuster cb3118 wads, was using the waa the first time. Now the loads look terrible, a big ring around the center and it looks like the shell is out of round. once again i tried adjusting the finish crimp and it has not helped. I have not tried the wad pressure adjustment yet and if i do how much is too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

RE wad pressure, you need only enough pressure to seat the wad. That equates to just seeing the wad pressure gauge slightly move to suggest a firm seating; maybe 5 or 10 lbs is fine and more is simply crushing the wad and it will likely spring back to some degree if crushed.

The rest of your message suggests, maybe, problems with the fact that modern AA hulls, now known as AAHS hulls, are two piece construction. In the bottom of the hull is the base wad and it is a separate piece from the hull itself. This base wad rather naturally has a slight shoulder at the top and CAN catch your CB or AA wad just enough upon insertion to distort the loaded hull or even tip the wad into an odd shape.

The most modern AA and CB wads are very slightly tapered at the bottom of the wad to improve the chances of your wad slipping by the base wad shoulder. And, MEC has printed suggestions on what you might do to improve things with the AAHS hulls when reloading. Most of us who have had problems with the AAHS hulls have simply moved on to the Rem. STS hulls that keep the one piece, tapered design that older AA hulls had and that ends problems.

Now if you are also getting these problems in the STS hulls and your Winchester or CB wads are of the latest design, then you may have wasted a minute or two reading my remarks but you could still call MEC and discuss your dilemma with them......breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

It might be the crimp starter needs raising up a fraction. Next time you buy wads look into Downrange wads. I was a die hard Claybuster loader until i tried Downrange.

My 2 cents worth
    WesleyB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

down range or factory Winchester for the AAs

5. corkcan

corkcan TS Member

Thanks for the info--Bob you were right on. I loaded up a couple of the sts hulls with the same components and set up and they look perfect. I still can't believe that there would be that much difference between the waa wads and the cb3118 when according to claybuster these are the proper wads for either rem or winchester 1 1/8 loads. Thanks again to all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.