1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with powder?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Deacon Stone, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deacon Stone

Deacon Stone TS Member

I need to know are Alliant RedDot and Hercules RedDot the same? I see that Alliant bought out Hercules and just wanted to know do I treat them the same? I have a book that references powder bushings for Alliant Reddot for the Hornady 366 but does not say Hercules Reddot. I believe them to be the same but wanted to know what you thought.

Thanks Deacon Stone

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Alliant bought Hercules.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Treat them the same. Hercules/Alliant Red Dot should all have the same burn rate, so use the same recipes. Bushing charts are just starting points to finding the right bushing. It is a good practice to always verify the powder drops with each lot of powder, sometimes different lots of Alliant Red Dot may need a bushing change when starting a new keg from a different lot. It may take a few drops to stabilize the powder drops.

Jason

4. Deacon Stone

Deacon Stone TS Member

Thanks Guys

Just wanted to make sure.

Deacon Stone

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Interesting point. Hercules became alliant. But that is not all.

Du Pont became IMR. Same powders and data just like Hecules/Alliant.

Hodgdon, now is another matter. They have IMR numbers, and they put and H in front of them instead of IMR. And you have to watch the load books, some are similar, others not.

Furthermore, they make the originals of other powders that are sold on different labels. HS-6 is Winchester 540, H110 is 296 etc.

So the big question: Is Hodgdon confused, or am I?

HM

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Alliant did not directly buy out Hercules. The large powder plant is owned by the US Government and supervised by the US Army. Operation of this facility is by a private company. A small section of the plant is also used by the operating company to produce powder for the civilian market.

Every so often (something like 10 years), the US Army puts out offers for bids for the operation of the large facility. Alliant under bid Hercules. The Hercules workers just changed employers. The operation of the civilian powder section is included with the bid to operate the larger plant.

The Powder Plant (local name for the Radford Army Ammunition Plant) has a large research and development section.Years ago, when an Australian group wanted to learn how to make a clean slow burning powder they came to the Powder Plant and learned how to make Clays in an afternoon. Now, a well known powder manufacturer has had a lot of problems and they have subcontracted production of their powder to the Radford plant. It is shipped back to them and put under their label. Many readers of this site use this powder.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Come on Pat, don't leave us hanging ...... what powder is it?

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Probably just another figment of his imagination. HMB

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Interesting link, here. New plant coming. This one is 70 years old.
    Gov investing 51 Million, according to another website.

Hope the libs don't notice.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.