1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with new MEC 9000 Loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. D, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I have a new out of the box MEC 9000H and am getting about 1 bad resize out of every 5-10 loads. I called MEC today and the tech told me the reason for this was a dirty shell lifter not allowing the shell to fully drop into the collet.

I told this guy that this was a brand new out of the bos loader with 22 rounds loaded and 4 bad resizes and he says that they sometimes get dirty in shipment from the inside of the box. Say whay????? I must have been taking to the "it's 3:30 on Friday" tech to get a stupid azz answer like that. I also ask him if I needed to oil this area and he said no not to put any oil on the collet.

So here I am on Friday night trying to load some shells but don't want to continue if I'm throwing away every 5th to 10th shell.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

[​IMG]

2. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Mine has done it twice in its 3 day life

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Mine did that until I removed the piece of shot that had fall in the collet.

4. joe kuhn

On second thought, since your problem is intermittent, I wonder if the shells just aren't falling down like they should. When that happens to me I lift the handle just enough to free up the shell and it drops in the rest of the way. My reloader was second hand and it hadn't been used in a long while. Now that I've used it some it never does it anymore. I wonder if you need to back off the nut that controls the resizer tightness. Loosen it up and see if the empty still fits in your gun...

5. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Found this in a search from Bob K.

Make sure the wad guide is properly lined up, and that the fingers are in good shape. The wad guide is fixed to the rod that lowers to allow the shell to lower in the collet. If the wad guide has a problem, you'll see it at the collet crushing rims.

I have checked for shot inside the colet and its clean. I'm working it more to follow

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Maybe too obvious, but make sure spent primers aren't keeping it from dropping under the machine.

7. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

When the base mushroom out like that the hull is not falling all the way down into the collet. The reasons can be many. Here are some that you must go through.

1. The collet "wings" must be lubed. I like Tri-flow grease from your local bike shop or Amazon. Mec recommends anti-seize I think-it's nasty and you have to do it too often. Check that.

2. The collet must be adjusted properly "opened enough" to allow the hull to fall all the way down.

3. The turning turret up top must be in a position to allow the shell to fall all the way down. A misaligned turret holds the shell up a bit.

4. The collet is also affected by a wad guide that doesn't allow a nice insertion of the wad into the hull on 3.

5. One piece of shot in the wings of the collet will keep the hull from falling all the way down. Use a dental tool to clean it or pull the center piece out of the collet and let the shot fall through then replace.

Shot can get in there from a non totally empty hull or spillage elsewhere.

Finally if the crimp on your hulls is not open enough on station 3 it keeps the wad from going in nicely. Bottom line think " the hull has to go all the way to the bottom of the collet on station 1". Why isn't it?

9000's have a pretty good learning curve.

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

MEC sells a grease that is to be used on the outside of the collet where it engages the sleeve nut. It's messy, but I apply it with a Q-tip periodically because the collet will stick.

I was having the same problem until I loosened the large nut on the underside of the base that holds the collet and raised the collet up a little. That will let the hull drop farther before the collet engages the brass on the hull.

One more thing to look for is how far the table rotates before it stops. You can adjust that by turning up or down the bolt that hangs out the bottom of the hydraulic rod in the back of the press. You don't need much of a turn to make a big adjustment. Your hull could be hanging on the lip of the table before it drops into the collet and not making it all the way to the bottom.

Kevin

9. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I checked the primers they are not in the way, also checked the wad guide and it is not causing this problem.

So that leaves something not letting the shell drop periodically.

I will try some gear lube on the collet and see what that does for me.

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Kevin, thanks for the tips I will try all that.

11. K.B.

K.B. Member

WE had the same prob. THE shell lifter needs to come down a little further by loosing the wad guide then loosning lock nut 461a then turn the rod( rod with wad guide clip) left or right depending to go up or down that will move the shell lifter bracket this will move shell lifter(8560*)in your case down GOOD LUCK
    We have 2 9000s they work great my dads 12ga did the same thing and i fixed it my nane is Dylan and im 10ys. i have my 9000 set up perfect with a little tweeking.

12. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I had the same problem when I first got mine at the beginning of the year. For me it was because I am left handed. It was natural for me to first put the empty hull onto station one and then put the wad on ram and let it slide down to the guide. What was happening was that when I was putting the wad on the guide it was just slightly moving the rod that is attached to the "thingy" on station one. With that wiggling around the hull wasn't seated properly and then the hull would get all munged up when I stepped on the pedal. Not all the time, maybe once every 20-25 loads. Once I saw what I was doing I changed the order, FIRST the wad THEN the empty hull. Since I made that change my 9000H has been flawless.

Hope that helps...

Greg

13. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

I always push the hull down as the press comes down, just get your fingers out of the way when you feel the hull hit bottom.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Just makes you feel like running out and buy a MEC .

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You can also have shot get under the shell follower (but not necessarily caught in the collet fingers) and this will prevent the empty hull from dropping to the bottom of the resizer. If the rim doesn't make it into the groove in the collet fingers you'll get a hull as pictured. Good luck.

16. joe kuhn

I'm betting on Dylan's answer.

17. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Take the lifter out, if you can not drop an empty into the resizer without it hanging up, the fingers are not opening all the way. The empty should go all the way to the bottem.

I would also be very careful cleaning the fingers, I broke one trying to clean it with a flat piece of metal.

Take care,

Jim

18. glenns

glenns Member

I had the same problem. Seemed to happen about 5-10%.

I bought some anti-seize and it cut down on the occurrence. Maybe 1-2 out of 200-300.

19. samiam03

samiam03 Member

You have shot in the collet. I've had the same problem. It takes a lot of force on the handle to round out a shell like the one you posted. That's your first indication that something is wrong. Try just depriming and resizing shells until you get the collet cleaned out and adjusted correctly. Every problem I've had with my 9000g - the solution has always been right in the manual.

I think I've talked to the same guy in Mec Tech support. Talk to Gordy he's the man.

Check the link I've included for a step by step guide to cleaning and lubricating the collet.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel - you just have to put up with the learning curve.

Hang in there

Sam

20. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I'm betting there was a small shot spill and some found it's way into the collet. You can reach under the loader and push the shell lifter up and just lift it out of the collet....quite often you feel the shot drop out as you lift it out. ALL spills must be cleaned up NOW, or this can happen and keep happening as shot works it's way around the wheel.

Even with the H model, it is a good idea to hold the hull in station 1 and assist it down into the collet....BUT BE SURE AND GET YOUR THUMB OUT OF THE WAY OF THE PRIMER DROP TUBE.

If you have not already done so, get the MEC manual, and start at station one and get this machine adjusted....one station at a time. Should not take more than 30 minutes, then you can really crank out the shells. Spill, stop and clean up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 crushing brass
mec 9000 g crushes shell

mec mishroomed hulls