1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with my new XT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trevorh, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

OK i just got out with my new XT my first real trap and patterned it, unfortunately i am patterning to the left of center with stock choke and the new set of browning chokes that i got. someone at the club said that i should get an ajustible comb but i dont know if that will really help. i really need some help on what i should do.

2. BMC

BMC Member

I don't know if the XT stock can be shimmed or not, but to answer your question about the comb, it most certainly can help. I had the same problem with a factory non-adustable stock, every pattern was to the left of center, no matter what choke. I had the comb cut so that I could move it to the right and it centered the POI just perfect once I got the comb set right.

3. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

OK we have a guy at my club that is very good with stockwork so i will probably have him do some work on it. i would have it shimmed but do to the fact that i am still growning i would rather an ajustible comb

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

You cannot make up for a gun that doesn't shoot straight. You need to get in touch with Browning. Do not alter your gun or Browning will walk away.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have wondered about this.

If the beads are aligned, and the gun shoot left or right, how does changing the comb left or right affect POI unless you accept the beads will not be aligned.

Yes, I know the eye is the "rear sight", but the beads cannot stay aligned - or am I missing something.

If I change the height of the comb I see more or less rib and that will change POI.

Inquiring minds what to know - do you accept an "offset" (left/right) of the beads? It seems to me that must be the trade off.

Don

6. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

I would say that with the beads stacked with improved mod choke i am getting 4-5in in of solid pattern to the right of the dot and and i am getting between 16-20in of solid pattern to the right of the dot

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

"do you accept an "offset" (left/right) of the beads" - no, absolutely not. Sell that POS gun before it makes you crazy!!

I believe in adjusting a comb right or left to compensate for facial configurations and maintaining my eye directly over the bead without having to force my face into the gun.

To trevorH, I would check the Point of Impact at a much closer range (13 yards)and from a rest. I would also make certain that my eye was centered down the rib when shooting. What distance did you pattern from?? If it was from 35 - 40 yards, it doesn't take much of a facial offset to get several inches of shift at those distances.

8. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

i did at at 22 yards off a pretty stabe rest. so do most people agree that i should talk to browning before i do anything and then see where that takes me.

9. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

trevorh ,

mac1911 and HGWT have given you straight info

But , at 16 yds , a 1/16" correction at the comb will move the POI 1" -- 13 yds is a "mixed" fraction . However , try to isolate the gun from the "body"--- set up the "shot" and let one or a couple of others pull the trigger to substantiate
    what the gun's POI/POA error may be .

Once that is known , the effect of your mount can then be addressed with appropriate tweaks to the stock/comb . 'Tis so nice when the POI is vertically aligned with the POA .

Charlie

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sell it.....

Curt

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

trevorh:

I had a similar experience years ago with a new Citori Plus. The bottom barrel shot noticeably to the right. Changing chokes didn't correct the problem.

If you bought the gun new, don't alter it (may void the Browning warranty) and don't dump it off on a fellow shooter. Contact Browning and insist they make it right.

Tell them exactly what isn't acceptable about your the XT. Tell them what you expect in order to resolve the problem (repair or replace) and give them a reasonable time frame in which to resolve the issue and return your gun. Work to get a committment from Browning on a date certain for resolution.

Document everything. Keep copies of e-mails and written correspondence. Make notes of everyone you talk to via phone including dates and times of the calls, extension numbers, as well as details of the conversations. Confirm the details of any phone calls via email or letter.

Browning doesn't have a great reputation for prompt customer service so be prepared to be persistent, follow up regularly, and raise h@ll if necessary.

Good Luck... sissy

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mac1911, you know it just warms my heart to read your post. I remember how you started here, asking for advice about a POI and how several posters here offered it. And then - you went out and followed the advice and now everything's fine! And took years off your learning curve in the bargain.

Score one for TS.com, the interested posters, and most of all, for you.

Neil

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree completely with those saying that it takes great care to determine where a gun shoots, even when using a good rest. My choice of patterning distance would be closer to eleven or twelve yards. The pattern prints would be tight and off-center distances could be tripled to find what the results might be at target-breaking distances.

I also agree with those saying that horizontal comb adjustment is best used to compensate for cheek plumpness. I would never be happy using a gun without being able to look down the center of the rib with the beads horizontally aligned when I check gun mounts. It may by my obsessive compulsive nature but misaligned beads "jus ain't right".

Confirming your patterning results with the help of other shooters and then contacting Browning is the way to go. Whatever results you get patterning at 11 or 12 yards, convert them to 40-yard results when you contact Browning. Explain that only about the central 20" of patterns assure broken targets. Beyond or outside of the 20" core, breaks "usually" or "sometimes" occur. Most of us make enough mistakes when shooting and don't need an errant POI adding to our imperfections in the creation of sight pictures.

A faulty POI also adds a negative aspect every time we shoot. It may not be consciously recognized each time we call pull but it is there in out subconscious nevertheless.

Rollin

14. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

OK i called browning and they said the best thing that i could do is get it back to them and they will do what it takes to fix it. Because i bought it new and only a week ago from from a shop i called them about and they said that they would like to send it back. They estimate a couple weeks probably before i get it back. whether it be fixed or replaced i dont know but hopefull i can get to put a bunch of rounds through before ata really starts up here.

15. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Briley will cut you an offset choke to make it shot where you want it to go. Just give tham a call. I did not do it because I try to shoot Skeet and they said there was not enough metal in the thin wall for my set up. For Trap they said it would be no problem.

Take care,

Jim

16. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread but i sent my gun back and 2 days ago my new one arrived this one patterns much better i shot it off the shoulder quickly and am getting about 55-45 but most likely that is just me. I just wanted to thank all the people here for the help and advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.