1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Model 12 gunsmithing project

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

One of my Model 12's was mis-firing, so I removed the trigger group and found out that the lower action slide lock spring had broken (see photo; the broken spring is the horizontal one). My question is, what is the best way to remove the two old springs in order to replace them with new ones? That is, what would a 'real' gunsmith do? (The A.A. Arnold Model 12 book is woefully deficient about how to perform this task).

Or, Plan B, should I send the action slide lock and the new springs to a gunsmith?

Or, Plan C, just order the complete assembled action slide lock from Nu-Line?

Query: does the AGI gunsmith video for the Model 12 cover the replacement of action slide lock springs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

LA in MA

porcupine_2008_03035.jpg

2. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Use a small punch to get the spring wire out..Do not pull it sideways..Mike the wire and go to the hobby shop and get a spring wire to replace it with,,
    Cut it to the length of the other wire.. Slide it into the little hole from the wire that was removed ..Stake it in place and this should be the fix to your problem..Hope this helps..

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Hi, Palos,

Thanks for the reply. If you're saying I should punch the springs out from the holes on the reverse side, the lower spring, the horizontal one, does not have a hole that goes all the way through the bar. The upper one does, though. Even then, the springs mike at .04". Does anyone make a drift/punch that small? I know Brownells doesn't.

LA in MA

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Sometimes you can use a paper clip to do the job ..use a little patience..slide the wire into the place that the old wire came from and then re stake the new wire..take your time and do it right.I would take Herb about two minutes to fix this problem.He was the master of the mode 12,s

5. 16gun

16gun Member

Porcupine you are correct about the problem of finding tools for this job. I have replaced many of these springs over the years. It is just easier to make your own tools for this job. I sharpened a broken drift punch so it would fit the top pin. Grind a second punch to a chisel point that you can get underneath the bottom wire. (You may have to use a dremel cutoff wheel to remove some of the staking on one or both of the springs. Not to much!!) Once both are removed replace and restake. Oh and if you make your own springs make sure they are not to long. Jerry

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Porcupine, Call Stu Wright, 618-357-8933. He's great with mod. 12s. Larry Evans

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

This part controls the ability to fire the gun when the bolt is totally in battery, fully locked. If it is "out of time" the gun will fire with the bolt partially open. Send the gun to Stu Wright if you don't know how to adjust it.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

John,

No offense, but this thread is about learning how to replace the slide action lock springs, not about adjusting anything (not yet, anyway). But thanks. Stu Wright's contact info has been noted.

LA in MA

9. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

With in the last 2 weeks I had the same exact thing happen to my Mod 12. there is a very reputablke gun smith in my area of central ohio that replace the spring in my gun for $5. this name is Thurman Goble and does ALL repairs in this area...He even does ALOT of work for Jaquas. Pm me If you want his number or you can send it to me and i can take it to him. BYG

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Just to update the other posters to this thread, I decided to go ahead and replace the springs myself. It was not that difficult with proper tools. I took 16guns' advice and fashioned my own. Thanks everyone for the help.

LA in MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.