1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Mec reloader and 28 ga load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a guy at the club that is just getting into reloading and bought a used mec for 28 ga. the problem is it did not come with any bushings. So I need to know what bushing to buy for a good target load. So what bushing, powder, wad and primer for 3/4oz loads around 1200 fps Thanks fo any help or if you can give me a site to go to so I can figure it out myself. Thanks

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Use Winchester 28 gauge AAHS hulls, they last forever. I use Claybuster 3/4 oz. wads, Fiocchi 616 primers, and use a MEC#18 bushing for Universal, and a MEC#19 for Unique. They both shoot around 1200 fps. This is not an endorsement of this recipe. Weigh your powder drops for accuracy. Check on the powder company websites for reloading info. Mark

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Go to the Hodgdon or Alliant sites. Lots of loads.

I use Unique or Universal for target loads and Lil'Gun for hunting loads.

Don Verna

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Universal, Unique, 20/28, Herco, and my personal favoite HS-6 are all great powders. It depends on what you want. Great price or cleaner burning. 20/28 hits on both of those notes. It's really up to you. As to bushings it depends on the powde you choose.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

MEC Powder bushing chart

http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/Miscellaneous/PowderBushingChart.pdf

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, Depends on if you use a single stage press or a progressive press as well. Chart above is good with progressive, but you may have to go down on size if you use a single stage loader. The two biggest powder company websites are already listed as is the mec bushing chart. 14,16,21 bushings are supplied to Mecs new 28 ga. loaders. I use the #l6 myself for universal powder. You will need to buy a powder/shot scale if you do not already have one. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Forgot to mention he uses Remington sporting clays hulls and a mec 600. Can you use Green dot or red dot in this ga?

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO, too much pressure. Even Unique is a little on the high end for 28.

HS-6 (540) is one of my favorites.

HM

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use about 14.5 grains of Universal Clays in a Federal (or Estate) hull, with a Federal 28S1 wad and a Winchester or Nobelsport primer. This is a great load.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT assume the powder bushings will throw anything close to what the charts say. WEIGH your charges!!!!

If you don't have a scale GET ONE before you reload your first shell. It is mandatory equipment for anyone who reloads.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I just went through this in the 12 gauge in regard to using a scale. I opened a new can of 700X and did not check the powder drop. The 1100 did not like the loads. Turned out I needed to go up a bushing to drop the same ammount of powder that I had been dropping in the past.

11. jrw136

jrw136 Member

Try Here:

http://28gasociety.46.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=2f71c2442ff4ccd37e6e58134fb26933

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

targetmaster, In a word "NO". 12 Gauge powders work well in 12 gauge, and 20/28 gauge powders work well for those two gauges, and 410 powders work well for just for the 410 bore. Have your friend use his Rem. hull with a clone AA wad and whatever primer he wants to use and find the data yourself at one of the websites above. If you can't find one let us know what components you want to use. Primer,powder,wad. and we can tell you powder drop and then/bushing as well. Even if we do this "Your friend will still have to weigh his powder drops" There are much higher pressures in the 28 gauge and 410 bores and you HAVE TO WEIGH POWDER DROPS. Every machine and every user will have some differences and they all have to be corrected before you make any shells. It is not uncommon to have 3 bushings for each load you need. Like I need the 16, but you may need a 15 or 17 in the same machine because of way you load and how the machine is fastened to a table. Even the powder can change from one jug to the next. Best of Luck and load safe. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant powder bushing chart mec reloader for 28ga at 1200 fps

mec loading chart fo 28 gauge