1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with making shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by texan4life, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texan4life

texan4life TS Member

My brother and I have decided to try shotmaking. We have gathered up some wheel weights and started the melting process. When melting the lead how clean is clean? We remove the clips and skim off the scum but when do you know the lead is clean enough? What do you shot pros use to skim the scum off? Like I said we are new to this and just in the expermintal stage. Thanks so much! AIS

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I just use a spoon and skim it till it looks good and clean. Make sure you scrape bottom and sides too. Another thing that helps is bout half way through lattling it out is to skim it again. I have done the bees wax thing and truly cant see a difference.

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

the cleaner the better,how big of melting pot are you useing?,i am running 2- 8 qt cast iron dutch ovens (200 lbs in 2 hrs) and after skimming&scrapeing well i add 1 tabelspoon of bees wax to ea pot.once it burns off skim some moore&start making ingots,the reason being is its a real pain in the @%# to clean a dripper,and also it keeps the dripper from geiitng a ash like build up in it,mark

4. texan4life

texan4life TS Member

Thanks for the information...we will keep plugging away! All advice is much appreciated!!

5. abiezer

abiezer Guest

When making ingots out of the whell weights,
    it's not neccesary to get all the stuff off the top,
    just most of it,there is hardly anything that will stay in the lead,
    as it's so dense, everything floats on top.
    Just make sure when you get it pretty clean up top,
    that the dross that's left is all to the backside of the pot
    while pouring into ingots,
    my master pot (one i make ingots from) always has some dross in it,
    but hey.. it floats,
    the metal underneath is clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.