1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Need Help with HDTV and DVD Info - Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pukey Stagg, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

I plan to buy a new High-Definition TV soon but I have some concern. A few questions for you shooters who are knowledgeable about such things.

1. I have a (standard) DVD player with MANY discs. Will I get decent reception playing these discs through an HDTV?

2. I also have several hundred old movies (VCR) Can they be played through the HDTV with good results?

3. Given the above questions, would I be better off to stick with a Standard Definition TV (digital, of course) to insure good quality reception when using the DVD player or VCR?

Thanks,

Puketh L'Stagg

2. setter

setter Member

Yes, yes and no.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In order the answers are: yes, yes, no. Something you should keep in mind, all flat panel tv's are set up for 16:9 screen ratio. If you play a DVD or VHS tape that's formatted in 4:3 or a squarish ratio then you should select that format on your tv, otherwise the picture is stretched to fill the wide screen and everything looks compressed up and down.

Go for a flat panel tv with 1080p resolution, while 720p is good, 1080 is going to be the new broadcast digital standard come Feb 2009.

Eric

4. bentbarrel

bentbarrel TS Member

Pukey, I just went to LCD 52" Samsung, everything, VCR and DVD work the same on my new TV as they did on the old analog. Good tapes and DVD's play well. A upconversion DVD player will help DVD's play better though. But you can at least expect at the same quality

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've got a 32" Panasonic Vierra LCD, but not the 1080P version and with an upcoverting DVD player we get superb picture quality and my VCR even looks pretty good on it.

6. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

Thanks shooters, your help is much appreciated. I'm learning more with each response.

Pukey

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pukey,

Don't forget, everything is negotiable. Case in point, a friend recently got a 2008 46" Samsung LCD that was priced at $2300 for $1800 after some "active" negotiating. Don't be afraid to walk away if they won't cut you a deal.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.