1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Frozen Comb Set Screw

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Took my "new to me" Ljutic mono to the range last night, and PO had moved the adjustable comb to the far right. Four set screws hold it in place (two on each side of the comb) and three of them loosened no problem. The last would not budge, and I am worried about breaking the wrench.

Any ideas for loosening this up? Should I try a drop of lubricant and let it sit for a few hours?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Kroil. Never ceases to impress.

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Old machine repair trick you may want to try, usually works well. With a stock, you may want to have someone hold it up so it doesn't get marred when you are doing this..or put a thick, soft padding under the stock on your bench.

Take a wrench tha fits the screw and cut off the "L" so you just have the straight part of the wrench a couple of inches long. Grinder works great for this.

Both ends should be flat. Take the wrench and insert it into the screw, and put a vise grip plier on the wrench. I would put a soft cloth between the wrench and stock in case of slippage. Then with a small hammer, begin tapping the end of the allen wrench lightly, while putting pressure on the wrench trying to unscrew it. If the screw was overtightened, this will usually do the trick..Just be careful you don't mar the wood...

Dave in SC

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Dave has it right, worked for me once. Tapping while unscrewing. If that doesn't work then some sort of penetrating oil (kroil) will usually do the trick. The problem lies in oil soaking the surrounding wood....a catch-22.

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Mark,

Exactly why I didn't mention Kroil...Wood and finish could be compromised.

Best penetrating oil I ever used in all my 42 years of repairing machines...

We called it Red Creeper in the old days.

Dave in SC

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I have a set of allen wrenches that fit on my socket wrench. Sears has a good selection. Works much better than the old L shape wrenches plus you can tap it a few times. Well worth the money. If the allen screw is not rounded out, it should come right out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.