1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP WITH FOOT POSITION..SKEET

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

HELP ...i can't seem to be able to hit a high house target to save my life. latly I can get a 23 ,22 one week and the next I'm lucky to get a 17,18.

I just can't shoot consitanty and it's the hight house target that give me my troubles.

I think it's my foot postion that gives me the most problems. I"m a lefty...I know I should be shot, I'm deformed. the high house 1 i can crush no problem, the problems start at 4, 5 nd 6. I seem to never be able to catch the target and swing the gun with the agresivness thats needed, I seem to run out of swing.

THE LOW HOUSE TARGETS i have not so much problem with I can hit about 90 % of them. I can shoot agresive and swing the gun with no problem on these targets.

the question on foot position is this...all the videos and books so far say that a lefty should face the high house ,but this is were I think the problem could be why I run out of swing and can't catch up with the target.

would it be bad to shoot these target and use the same postion and footing that a right handed shooter would use or would this cause problems down the road.

also as a lefty I keep most of my weight on the right leg which makes sense, and on the days when I shoot good I lift my left heel a slight bit and I seem to swing the gun much better....but someone at the club told me not to do this and it's a bad thing to do.(god only knows the free advise I get sometimes and pay thousands for).

any help would be great...before I just give up and go to strickly to trap shooting.

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Stand on any station and point your belly button at the center stake. Position your feet comfortably and turn in to the house you are shooting and allow a natural weight transfer,staying to the balls of your feet. Then all you have to do is get the gun at the right height of the target path and unwind.
    Head down and Keep swinging.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

set yourself up to your break point comfortably, & then go back to the pick up point. You want to be unwinding as you go for the bird. Don't go so far back to the house that the target gets a big jump on you. See it and shoot it, and don't be thinking about lead. The front bead is 30" from you, the target is 21 yards. You can't think and see at the same time. SEE THE TARGET !!!

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

You should start with your bellybutton and feet pointing at the high house window for all shots except station one and eight. You may cheat a little but not much. Try the VA Skeet website for station by station instruction. Jeff

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Foot position is not your main problem, the point where you are holding your gun is the main problem. Move your hold point further from the high house. Far enough away so when you call for the bird it never gets ahead of the barrel(so it never beats you). Shoot it with a sustained lead, 3 feet for 3&5, and 4 feet for for station 4. HMB

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remington has the fundamentals on their website, a downloadable pdf.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/downloads/brochure-downloads.aspx

Mash the link or paste into your browser.

HM

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Lead on station 4 is 3 feet incomers on 3 and 5 are 3.5 feet longest lead on the field. Jeff

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Do yourself a great favor--ignore all the free advice (except mine) and buy a copy of the best skeet instruction book ever written.

"King Heiple is one of the National Skeet Shooting Association's ten Master Instructors.... His professional career as an orthopedic surgeon spanned 32 years and culminated with the position of Chairman of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. He's written more than 80 scientific articles.... Many of those publications dealt with biomechanical research, an interest strongly reflected in this book."

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your on the wrong site. Try skeet shooting......

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Find your "sweet spot"

1- mount your gun.

2- swing left till your gun barrel moves down at the end of your swing. (Other way for lefties)

3- swing right till your gun barrel moves up at the end of your swing (again, other way for lefties)

This is your sweet shooting area.

Position your feet so the sweet shooting area is centered on the place where you want to break the target.

For most people the sweet spot is about 15-20 degrees off perpendicular.

Now if you have a high 2 or station 8 problem get back to me.

HM

Forget about a different position for every station and all that other garbage.

11. gkinla

gkinla Member

Try this site. On the lower right is a Todd Bender cheat sheet. You'll need a Adobe reader because it's a PDF file. Good luck

12. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Actually - face your belly button into the lo-house window for every station (except 7 & 8 of course). You may find over time that you adjust a little either way depending on your ultimate shooting preference, but that is the universally accepted foot (body) position. Slightly bend the left knee and you are good to go. Be sure to hold the muzzle UNDER the window, about 1/3 distance from the window. 'Look' halfway back between the window and muzzle - settle for a split second - and call for your bird. As soon as you see the flash - start moving with the bird, focus hard on it, and when you have the desired lead - pull the trigger and tarry not, keep your head down and KEEP SWINGING. Simple. Avoid getting used to the 'swing thru' method. It works great for hunters and ocassional shooters - but in order to post consistently good scores as your game improves, the sustained lead method will be best. Over time you may modify your lead achievement style, but start with sustained lead. A diving or rapidly climbing target will eat your lunch.

Get a Todd Bender video.

MK Tribbie

13. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I bought King's book... I did not like it... Now Bender DVD... worth its weight in gold :)

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

A simple method for every game is that you should be nearly facing the target when you break it, with the forend side just slightly forward. In skeet that is a no brainer. In trap, a right handed shooter merely has to set up for the most left-handed target expected. This method will keep you from binding up at either end of the swing.

Works for me - try it, you'll like it

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

skeet 100 is right.

Get the Bender DVD.

If you are a lefty, belly button to the high house window on all stations except where you can't (one, and low eight.)

16. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Here is the best diagram you can have for your feet positions. You can also go to the link I provided above for more detailed information.
    [​IMG]

Bruce

17. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

Swing from your legs.

If your arms move faster than your lower body, your barrel will dip below the line of flight of the target at time of shot delivery. You can defeat the problem by keeping still from the waist up and driving your entire upper body with the legs. This will keep your shoulders level, and as such will help keep your gun barrel swinging on line.

Foot position should be parallel and either belly button to the high house window...or belly button pointing to the corner of the pad that faces the high house. Minor tweeks may be necessary later. But no matter what, keep the upper body quiet and swing from the legs.

18. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

You need to buy two things; The Todd Bender DVD and a new shift key for your computer..........

Shoot safe, John

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you stand feet slightly parellel to one another, with the front foot slightly pointing more forward and abit more & hold feet slightly wider than your shoulders you have my stance. Look above a picture of King and thats it. Now when you shoulder your gun with no twist in body at all,legs bend like a water skier,70% weight forward on front leg, and leaning forward abit as normal, you will notice a line from heel of back foot to toes of front foot, with no twist in body now. I use that to point at the center stack at every station I shoot at (exept 8). At 8 I just move that line "heel to toe" as it were out about 20 degress from house opening on high or low into field downrange. In this way you are shooting every target on the field with no twist in our body at the time you are pulling the trigger, you just twist into the house to your fav. hold point. Make sure your barrel is below the house opening on both high and low. Mostly low house as that is the one most hold to high on. This keeps the target from going under the barrel which is very bad. You can raise your head or follow target with wrong eye. Do swing your gun with your legs to move your waist. Move gun up and down with your back. Everything from your bellybutton up needs to stay fixed and not move. I use this stance at all 3 shooting games. Just pick where you want to break the sporting target or skeet or trap and use it for all games. Theirs no reason to be all twisted up when you pull the trigger. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
foot placement for skeet shooting
foot position for shooting skeet
shooting skeet-foot position
shooting station 8 method twist
skeet body position

skeet shooting foot positions

todd bender skeet cheat sheet
trap shooting cheap sheet