1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srvfan, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvfan

srvfan Member

I have sort of a dumb question but I am new to doubles and need some help.
    When you call for the bird then you shoot the straight away then look for
    the second bird and swing over to it do you have to put lead on the clay?
    If so could someone tell me how much lead useing a 16 yard shot as an
    example.... Thank you very much for any help I could get.
    Paul

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

click on the link above and go to page 10 - gives you the lead for the doubles targets.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Yes you can put a little lead on each target. What you want to avoid is having your gun hold on the inside of the first bird so that that you would have to make a radical reverse in direction of gun swing to get on the second target. Try to take the 1st bird as quick as you can, then you will have enough time to get your eyes on the 2nd bird and swing over to nail it.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

good advise from Mike....I've always shot the straightaway and the right target first on post 3 and like to be squad leader too....hate having to deal with post 1 after I've endured post 5!

5. Ertz

Ertz Member

Wow, this is great stuff!!!! I wish I would have seen this earlier; I could have saved the $400 I just wasted on a clinic.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

In doubles one target is an extreme left and the other an extreme right. Put about the same amount of lead on each as you would if they were singles. How much is that?-----depends on the speed of the gun, you'r reaction time and how you perceive you'r lead.

John C. Saubak

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ertz,

It ain't >MY< fault you just pi$$ed away $400 ? lol

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

shoot right at the second target, swinging to it takes care of the lead.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would like to expand the comment made above by fearlessfain. Look hard at the second target, your gun swing and brain will take care of the lead. I never consciously think about lead, it just sort of happens naturally.

Pat Ireland

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

srvfan:

Here’s another concept to consider. For purposes of illustration, assume you are on post one.

1. Shoot the right hand bird, i.e. the straight away.

2. As you recover from the recoil, be sure your cheek is firmly planted on the stock.

3. Immediately, begin to pivot your body left toward the second bird. Simultaneously, shift your eyes to the left and ahead of the gun barrel.

Note: It is much easier to shift your eyes than swing your gun. To swing the gun your muscles must overcome the inertia of your entire body plus eight or ten pounds of gun inertia. By comparison, shifting your eyes is instantaneous and effortless.

4. As you continue to pivot left, your eyes will catch the second target in your peripheral vision. You will simultaneously focus and visually lock on the second bird.

5. As your eyes remain locked on the target for a nanosecond or two, your body and gun will catch up to your eyes and the target.

6. Pull the trigger. Mr. Ireland is correct, the lead will be correct.

If done properly, your eyes and body and gun all flow in a single continuous and smooth motion. There won’t be any abrupt or jerky moves. The process is very efficient. There is no wasted motion so it reduces time needed to acquire and shoot the second target. It also reduces the opportunity for errors that cause lost targets.

Good luck and good shooting.

sissy

BTW: Doubles are about as much fun as one can have without taking off some clothes. : )

11. Ertz

Ertz Member

Does anyone out there use the "loop" method? After you shoot the first bird, you make a small loop out and downward to move to the next bird. I easily miss more than 50% of my second birds as it appears I am stopping the gun. I can't get my mind to NOT do that. I have playing in the basement with the loop and I am very intrigued by it.

Thanks,

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ertz:

Some upward gun movement is normal for most of us when shooting singles and handicap targets. The loop method (re)creates a similar visual effect when shooting the second target in doubles. Arguably, one advantage is promoting an appropriate follow through.

IMHO, some shooters tend to shoot over or under the second target when they make a direct lateral move. The loop method tends to prevent those errors.

sissy

13. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Lately I've been shooting the right target first no matter which post I'm on. I was having problems seeing the right target from Post 4 & 5, plus because of shoulder problems it seems easier to pull left instead of push right. My second target hit percentage is steadly rising. I'm also seeing the left target prior to "gun on target".

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I think there is an article on this subject in (P52) in the November 2006 Shotgun Sports Magazine. While I wanted it to go into more depth, the pictures on page 55 and 56 gave me visual images of what everyone is talking about. Since I am a visual learner, a picture or movie teaches me more than words. I may have to read over the text several times to get it while the picture makes sense on the first viewing. I reread this article and studied the pictures, then went out and posted my highest doubles score ever on Wednesday night. I am a beginner also and find doubles a fun and exciting part of trap shooting. After doubles, I am pumped up. Your second rock may fly farther. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.